New to quail! Just got 6 Bobwhites

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
So I visit Craigslist quite often to see just what there is that I couldn't live without and came across someone close to where I live selling Bobwhite quail. So I did some research, quickly "discussed" it with my hubby, and off I went to get the quail. I wanted to start with 5 but the guy gave me 4 female and 2 male. They are 13 weeks old now. I've had them for about a week now and I'm totally in love with them. I even made a sign for their pen.......and although I've read the controversy with having quail with chickens, I'm still incredibly new to everything that I need to know about them and as with chickens, I'm sure the knowledge will come with time. But here is their set up for now....I'm sorry it's not the greatest pic, but it was a rush pic.

DSC07072.jpg

they can go inside if they want to where they have a two story living space in there. They prefer to sleep outside in the covered run area under some tall weeds. Their run is 4x12 with a 7 ft height. They seem to like it and they don't mind me being in the pen with them at all.

I know some say not to have them in the same area with chickens and others swear that they have no problems with it at all....well, mine are in the same coop area and run area (although my chickens free range during the day). So with my fingers crossed, we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to build some pens inside as well.

So I'm excited to set out on this new venture with the bobs....they are absolutely adorable and I love listening to them...they are quite soothing. It reminds me of raising them when I was in single digits out at my grandpas.......ah....good times.

Congrats on the new addition (and addiction)!
smile.png
They'll only make you want more. Also, I like your homemade live trap page. I may try this.........

YOUR PEN IS VERY NICE... I'M SURE THEY LOVE IT WITH ALL THE PLANTS AND NATURAL HIDES IT CREATES FOR THEM.... YES THEY WILL MOST DEFINATELY PREFER SLEEPING OUTSIDE IN A SECLUDED SPOT--- USUALLY ALL TOGATHER IN A WAGONWHEEL PATTERN

IT IS HOWEVER BAD MOJO TO KEEP ANY SPECES OF GAMEBIRD IN DIRECT OR EVEN CLOSE CONTACT WITH OTHER POULTRY. I AM POSTING A LINK THAT WILL HOPEFULLY EXPLAIN THIS FOR YOU. IF NOTHING ELSE IT WILL DISPELL THE NAY SAYERS OUT THERE.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=250361

NO MATTER HOW YOU HOUSE THEM I WISH YOU LUCK WITH THEM --- BOBS ARE WONDERFUL LIL BIRDS
smile.png

Thanks for all of the comments! So far, it seems that they can't get out of it. It is built inside of a predator proof run so the outside wall is chain link kenneling and the entire enclosure is chicken wired. I also have netting across the top to keep them from escaping because my walls didn't go to the top of the vaulted kennel top. I do plan on building a completely seperate enclosure for them once winter comes and goes, so I'll have to be doing alot of researching until then.

I have added some long needled pine limbs to their pen and they love it. I also took some welded wire fence folded over itself, stuffed it with leaves, and made a "leaf" ledge up higher, and they seem to like it. They can fly up there but only a couple have figured it out so far. Here's my sign so my kids don't forget that they are NOT allowed to open the pen...
big_smile.png
I put it right by the handle of the door so NOONE can say that they didn't see it, or forgot, etc. etc. ......
roll.png

DSC07089.jpg

Quote:
Is Corza or Corzya airborne?

YES BY DROPLET ONLY--- MEANING IF A INFECTED ANIMAL COUGHS OR SNEEZES.... AS FAR AS THE DROPLET CAN FLY IS YOUR INFECTIOUS ZONE. IN MOST CASES WE ARE THE TRANSMITTER THRU POOR BIOLOGIC ISOLATION TECHNIQUES--- WE GET CONTAMINATED THEN PASS IT ALONG. JUST 1 REASON WHY I FEED ALL GAMEBIRDS 1ST WITH THEIR OWN FEEDING EQUIPMENT, THEN GO BACK AND FEED THE REST OF MY POULTRY WITH THEIR OWN FEEDING EQUIPMENT. ALWAYS OBSERVE STRICT HANDWASHING AND BLEACH EVERYTHING FREQUENTLY

AND ACTUALLY CORYZA IS 1 OF A FEW MYCOPLASMA ILLNESSES THAT ARE ALL HIGHLY CONTAGEOUS TO GAMEBIRDS. OF ALL, THE MYCOPLASMAS ARE THE WORST.... IF NOT FATAL ANY SURVIVORS WILL BECOME CARRIERS AND THEREBY A DANGER TO OTHER GAMEBIRDS.... THIS IS 1 OF THE BIGGEST REASONS MANY STATES DO NOT ALLOW RELEASE OF DOMESTIC GAMEBIRDS WITHOUT SPECIAL PERMITTING( WHICH INCLUDES AND OVERSEE'S THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS AND RAISING TECHNIQUES)

Back
Top Bottom