1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lilredCC, Sep 23, 2016.

1. lilredCC

lilredCC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Hello,
    I am a chicken lover/owner with who just acquired 3 Bob white Quail. I am a vet tech but have no experience with these little birds, any advice would be welcomed!
    I am taking 2 females and 1 male (under a year old) from a woman who's husband just died and raised and really enjoyed them in his final months.I am keeping them in a smaller coop that we used to put our pullets in before transitioning them to our larger coop/enclosed run.I am picking them up later this week.
    We eventually would like to build a separate run/coop off the back of our current chicken coop, but have them separated by fence and get more.
    My questions are as followed:
    1: Should I be feeding medicated game bird food ,as I don't know their history?
    2: Will it be dangerous to my chickens to have them in a separate coop/run attached to the back side of my current chicken run? *After quarantining them for a while to make sure they are healthy
    Thanks in advance for any advice!!

2. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    You can feed them regular food. I get crumbles version of the chick feed. They also can eat scratch grains.

They might get along with adult chickens but because the size is so different, be sure to give them time to get used to each other and monitor them for a while. The best thing is to keep them separated, though, because you never know when a chicken will turn on them. Or in general, any time a bird got a little hurt or shows blood, even their buddies that they normally live with might peck and be hostile to them, so larger birds like chickens might do the same and hurt them.

3. lilredCC

lilredCC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Thank you so much! :)
    Hopefully it works out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by