New to quail

Whatever I build for pens will have to be inside a building. We have this thing called "Canadian winter" where the temperature drops to about -25 to -40 Celsius and the snow builds up to about 3-4 feet deep. This lasts from November to March.

Therefore the breeders will be living inside for sure. We definitely have raccoons, but only in the summer, since they hibernate in the winter. The most damaging animal I have encountered yet was a mink. They don't hibernate and can get pretty hungry in the winter.

For feed choices locally, I can find: 30% game starter, 19% flight conditioner, and 20% layer/breeder.

The starter is recommended from 1-6 weeks. The layer is recommended to feed birds from 2 weeks before laying. I don't know what the flight conditioner is for., but it says 6-16 weeks.

Since Coturnix start laying around 6 weeks, I guess I would put them right on breeder from the starter. RIght?

For a few birds I really don't want to have to keep 3 differn't kinds of feed.

Just feed them the layer or one bag layer or FC mixed with one bag of starter. You can keep them on starter until 6-8 weeks then switch them over to whichever feed. Flight conditioner is just formulated to keep bobs lean and healthy so they are good fliers for the gamebird shooting preserves. It can be fed to laying hens with no problems.

Any feeder that dispenses is fine just elevate it 4-5 inches off the ground so they have to reach up into is.

Like this. This is about 90% waste free. If you want to improve on it insert a short piece of PVC pipe inside the mouth of the jar to essentially make the edge of jar lower so less food can dispense at a time.

Well, today I had my first 4 quail hatch. They are so tiny! It is amazing! It took them a few hours to get much energy but they are pretty bouncy now!

I've raised coturnix quail for years, 4 girls and 1 boy do well in 2x3 foot wire cages. When I used wire cages I build a hardware cloth under the feed area with another plastic container I got from Chinese restaurant, and used it to catch extra feed from a wall mounted feeder. But now I run the quail in a 5x6 foot pen on the ground and i use that deer netting on top of a stronger wall to keep them in, it has worked well for 5 years. I keep 3 males for 15 girls and come winter time I use a top half of a plastic dog house and they use it like a cave to keep out of weather. I had 2 feet of snow on sides and partially top the dog house piece. I also feed my quail 18% pellet and grass I pull, I find grass keeps the feathers better.

Side note, unless quail grow up with chicken, I never ever put chickens with my quail. Also Bobwhites kill other quail even if raised together from my experience.

Last edited:
Can I
I've raised coturnix quail for years, 4 girls and 1 boy do well in 2x3 foot wire cages. When I used wire cages I build a hardware cloth under the feed area with another plastic container I got from Chinese restaurant, and used it to catch extra feed from a wall mounted feeder. But now I run the quail in a 5x6 foot pen on the ground and i use that deer netting on top of a stronger wall to keep them in, it has worked well for 5 years. I keep 3 males for 15 girls and come winter time I use a top half of a plastic dog house and they use it like a cave to keep out of weather. I had 2 feet of snow on sides and partially top the dog house piece. I also feed my quail 18% pellet and grass I pull, I find grass keeps the feathers better.

Side note, unless quail grow up with chicken, I never ever put chickens with my quail. Also Bobwhites kill other quail even if raised together from my experience.
can I house my jumbo and standard coturnix together?

Back
Top Bottom