New to quails

rosesroost

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 10, 2012
Cornwall uk
Hello I am getting some week old chicks tomorrow, what are the essentials I need to know? D they need to stay inside under heat for a few days, do I put them out straight away? All advice welcome please. Also I have 8 welsummers and I was hoping when the quails get a bit bigger if they can be clipped and share the run with them? Different house at night though? Thankyouuuu, I'm new to this site too by the way so hiiiii. Oh and also, in the uk it's -2 right now so how should I consider the weather in this x rose x

The schedule for heat is usually:

Week 1 - 37*
Week 2 - 35*
Week 3 - 32*
Week 4 - 29*
Week 5 - 26*
Week 6 - room temp or outside if it's not too cold.

I converted to C for ya so they should be close enough. At 6 weeks they should be about full grown and can tolerate cold better, but I would think tossing 1 week old chicks out in -2c weather would kill them pretty fast.

I wouldn't keep them with the chickens. I had an oddball quail bond with a rooster once but the other chickens always tried to peck him. Luckily the rooster defended him from them. Not recommended though, chickens have a vicious pecking order and can easily kill a quail.

Back
Top Bottom