New to quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rosesroost, Jan 22, 2013.

1. rosesroost

rosesroost New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    Cornwall uk
    Hello I am getting some week old chicks tomorrow, what are the essentials I need to know? D they need to stay inside under heat for a few days, do I put them out straight away? All advice welcome please. Also I have 8 welsummers and I was hoping when the quails get a bit bigger if they can be clipped and share the run with them? Different house at night though? Thankyouuuu, I'm new to this site too by the way so hiiiii. Oh and also, in the uk it's -2 right now so how should I consider the weather in this x rose x

2. Wil SC

Wil SC Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    The schedule for heat is usually:

Week 1 - 37*
    Week 2 - 35*
    Week 3 - 32*
    Week 4 - 29*
    Week 5 - 26*
    Week 6 - room temp or outside if it's not too cold.

I converted to C for ya so they should be close enough. At 6 weeks they should be about full grown and can tolerate cold better, but I would think tossing 1 week old chicks out in -2c weather would kill them pretty fast.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I wouldn't keep them with the chickens. I had an oddball quail bond with a rooster once but the other chickens always tried to peck him. Luckily the rooster defended him from them. Not recommended though, chickens have a vicious pecking order and can easily kill a quail.

4. rosesroost

rosesroost New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    Cornwall uk
    Thankyou both. Picking them up today. Heat lamp at the ready xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by