New to rabbits, help on necessities

I am getting 2 mini rexs in about a month. I am building a hutch with an outdoor area. Is there any tips on what should be put in the run and hutch to make it fun and safe. I already plan on putting wire a fence down under the ground and on the bottom under the soil so they can't dig out. All information will be helpful. Thank you!!! Also I want to know how to litter box train them like to go in a specific box so the poop won't be everywhere I've heard of it but not sure how to do it! Thank you!
Litter box training is fairly easy. Wait and see which corner they pick naturally, then put a box there. Don't use fresh litter only, scoop some of their soiled corner into the box. That helps them pick it up faster.

I have actual real rabbit cages... Three of them and I would not put one rabbit in one cage ever.
I think if I were to combine all three cages I could keep a rabbit or two in that area....maybe.

I would suggest building your hutch with no less than 15 square feet of floor space.

I'm probably not the best person to ask when it comes to how you should house rabbits. I'm a little bit on the extreme side.
It's ok me too when I was thinking of building I was like hmmmm how do I make a castle for my new bunnies hahahah

And even then, they should be let out of that hutch very frequently, as that's nowhere near enough for any animal to stay in 24/7 - think of a human being trapped in a bathroom all day.
The only rabbit of mine that is in a pen has 48 square feet.
I actually am building a hutch that gives them access to outdoors all day then I will lock them up at night, the outdoor run I will make very preditor proof, as I said before I will be putting wire in the ground on all sides to allow them to dig a bit without escaping! And do a double wire wall to ensure they can't get out and nothing can get in!

If I were to build a rabbit “hutch“ for 1-2 rabbits outdoors I would likely make it 10 x 10, 100sq ft. But I always aim for more space the better, instead of aiming for minimum. Keep in mind even if your thing is predator proof, rabbits are still prone to heart attacks by the presence of a predator, even if they cannot get in.

Not sure where you live, but do read up on the RHVD2 virus that is quickly spreading across the US. It has affected both the wild rabbit population and some pet rabbits as well. It is highly contagious. If you are in an affected area, some vets have vaccines available.
Here is some info on it:
https://rhdv2.org/

(Not trying to scare you... just wanted you to be aware.)

Also I want to know how to litter box train them like to go in a specific box so the poop won't be everywhere I've heard of it but not sure how to do it! Thank you!
With rabbits, litter training is mostly about the urine. Only the rare rabbit will be 100% with poos. But that shouldn't be a worry as the poos aren't an issue -- dry and odorless. Plus they make excellent fertilizer! It is the urine that s m e l l s strong! That's where the stink comes from.

Rabbits naturally will go potty in the same place. Starting with adults (as you said you were) will make it easier (believe it or not) because they litter train more readily than babies. Use a good size plastic tub or tote. Wood pellets (not shavings) work great for absorbing urine odor. I topped mine with hay. The hay entices them to go in there. They like to potty while they graze. Don't worry. They won't eat soiled hay. I just add fresh hay on top each day.

With rabbits, litter training is mostly about the urine. Only the rare rabbit will be 100% with poos. But that shouldn't be a worry as the poos aren't an issue -- dry and odorless. Plus they make excellent fertilizer! It is the urine that s m e l l s strong! That's where the stink comes from.

Rabbits naturally will go potty in the same place. Starting with adults (as you said you were) will make it easier (believe it or not) because they litter train more readily than babies. Use a good size plastic tub or tote. Wood pellets (not shavings) work great for absorbing urine odor. I topped mine with hay. The hay entices them to go in there. They like to potty while they graze. Don't worry. They won't eat soiled hay. I just add fresh hay on top each day.
Thank that helps tons!!

Back
Top Bottom