New to Raising baby chicks

walkerz14

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
We just got some free baby chicks today. I have them in a box with pellet bedding and a heating light. I got the right kind of food from the feed store and a watering container. My question is: Now what? How long will it take them to grow where I don't need the heating light and they can go outside? I am completely NEW to this and don't really know anything about raising chickens.
Thanks for all your help!

Lucky you! I don't have a lot of experience, but I read that you should gradually lower the temperature as they feather out. I wouldn't put them out until completely feathered and it is warm outside. However, I admit that I am a bit over protective. I tend to keep them in 'til 4-5 weeks of age. I don't know what the outdoor temps are like in your part of the world. Good luck with them. (My new ones are about ten days old.)

Hi and Welcome, first time our chicks went out side was at three weeks, i stayed with them while they were out, some have taken them out at two weeks, it really depends on the weather, you don't want them chilled. handle them daily, they are much easier to manage when they are comfortable with you.

Your chicks won't fully feather out til they are 8 to 10 weeks old and will need a heatlamp on them if put outside in a brooder box or henhouse.....day olds start out at a heatlamp temp of 95 degrees and 5 degrees lower each week after...they chill very easy so thats why a heatlamp is needed for outdoors...Inside I just use a 100 watt lightbulb down to a 60 even in the brooder with ample space for them to get away from the heat right under the bulb....

Chicks grow out at an alarming rate so best to have a large brooder box til you are ready to have them out in a henhouse...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom