New to raising chickens. I have 4 2 moths old chicks and a friend just asked me if I wanted 4 chickens that are just starting to lay. Should I?

Debbiebs1b

Chirping
Aug 18, 2022
New to raising chickens. I have (4) 2 months old chicks and a friend just asked me if I wanted 4 chickens that are just starting to lay. I have a 4 x 8 hen house with 2 nesting boxes inside, and 2 perches. The run is 11 x 16. Wondering if I should get them and if so how do I incorporate them with the 2 month olds?

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    506.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    738.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    492.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 22.JPG
    22.JPG
    923.4 KB · Views: 1
Hello Debbie, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'd replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth and extend it out about 2' to form a predator apron.
The amount of space you have is enough for 8 birds.
You should quarantine the older birds for 30 days before beginning integration into your flock.

Glad to meet you, Debbie. What a nice friend. What are the dimensions of your coop and pen? They don't look that big from the pictures. Look very nice, though. But 8 chickens will need more space. Also, you will need to quarantine the new hens for 2 months to be sure they are not bringing in some disease that would kill off your 2 month old chicks. Be careful - it sounds like such a nice deal, but oooh, wouldn't you be sad.

Hey from the UK! Welcome to BYC it's lovely to have you here 😀 lots of useful knowledge and advice on here and everyone trys to assist with any questions or queries. If you decide to take them also u would need them separated from yours but still in eyesight to get used to each other slowly integrating them there will be some.ruckus as they will establish a pecking order but if gets violent will need to be separated again it's a long slow process but rewarding I think the question u ask yourself is do u want these 4 chickens? Do u have the time and patience to integrate? Are u able to keep separate but nr each other? Answering these questions should hopefully give u ur answer :) good luck and keep us updated on what you decide :)
XxSamXx

Glad to meet you, Debbie. What a nice friend. What are the dimensions of your coop and pen? They don't look that big from the pictures. Look very nice, though. But 8 chickens will need more space. Also, you will need to quarantine the new hens for 2 months to be sure they are not bringing in some disease that would kill off your 2 month old chicks. Be careful - it sounds like such a nice deal, but oooh, wouldn't you be sad.
hen house is 8' x 4' and run is 11' x 16'. Definitely don't want diseases. I think I should wait. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom