New to raising chickens with questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SarcasmPhD, Jan 22, 2015.

1. SarcasmPhD

SarcasmPhD Out Of The Brooder

Typical guy new to raising chickens. I have TONS of questions. The first that has been on my mind: are there certain breeds that do well together? I will most likely be starting off with a flock of 6-10 birds. I'd like to mix the flock up. I know I would like a few Rhode Is. Reds. What breeds would do well with Reds? Let the replies begin!.....:D

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    Welcome! I'm sure people who keep RiRs will chime in (I don't because I find them overly assertive/mean). My only advice would be not to mix them with docile breeds.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Some hatchery RIR's can be aggressive. I don't care to keep them but that shouldn't sway you from keeping them. Plenty of members will dispute this and claim they have the sweetest RIR's! I am a Black Australorp fan or Buff Orpington fan. Super friendly, docile, great layers and quite hardy over all. But this is just my preference.

If you raise a group of chicks together, no matter their breeds, they generally all get along just fine. Aside from the pecking order, there will be peace. Avoid mixing in Silkies or birds that are small with big head crests with larger breed birds. These different looking birds can get picked on.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Typical guy indeed, can tell by the heading (yuck)

To answer your question there are docile and not so docile breeds, it all runs more smoothly if you don't mix the extremes.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've known RIRs to be somewhat aggressive especially the roosters. But they are excellent layers.

6. SarcasmPhD

Thank you to you all for the info. I guess I may want to research breeds a bit more. When the word, aggressive, appears a few times, I may decide to reconsider my choice of bird. Although, they will be raised together as chicks.

7. SarcasmPhD

Thanks TwoCrows. I've read about those breeds. And would definitely like both. I'm getting into raising my own chickens because we purchase ALOT of eggs. Even though they say, "cage free" that is part of the marketing. Between GMOs, and factory farms, I prefer my food to be as clean and natural as possible. Plus, having my own supply of eggs that know are legit is huge for my family.
    I will learn more about the Buff and the Australorp. Thanks again.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

What hatcheries sell as RIR are really pretty high strung, high production reds.

True bred, "heritage" Rhode Island Reds are only available through a quality breeder. You'd find them incredibly docile. The "RIR" that get that aggressive label are hatchery sourced birds. Two completely different things, just being honest.

1 person likes this.
  9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SarcasmPhD

Thank you. That I did not know. And, greatly appreciate the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by