New to Raising Chickens

ZedR

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
Central PA
Hello everyone. My name is Zed and my wife and I are finally about to move out of our HOA to a little place we are buying that is more out in the country. I'm very new to the world of raising chickens but can't wait. I have collected eggs before and was around farms growing up so I'm somewhat familiar but back then I just followed my dad's lead. LOL

Anyway.. trying to decide between a tractor coop or stationary. Looking to get 4 to 6 hens. Thinking 4 RReds and 2 Easters.

I've been really enjoying the site and learning as much as I can.

Welcome! A HOA sounds like an Orwellian nightmare to me, so happy to hear you are escaping into the much more reasonable country ;)
To me the biggest deciding factor to a tractor or stationary coop in the country, would be if you want to free-range your birds or not. A free-range bird does not need a tractor because they range the yard looking for food. A coop raised bird, would benefit from a tractor getting new forage area. Freeranging is easiest, but comes with more risk, the chickens are more vulnerable. Coop raised require more work, but are more secure.
You should check out our learning center, it has lots of good info, and the people here are very helpful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on OrganicFarmWife; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Hi Zed,
welcome-byc.gif

You might like to chat with other members in PA, get their input on the coop vs. tractor idea. You can find them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

One deciding factor to me is how secure can you make the tractor. There are a lot of things that enjoy chicken dinners and if predators can tunnel under or climb into chicken housing to get a meal, they will sooner or later. Whichever way you go with your bird's housing, make it as secure as possible to keep them safe.

Good luck to you and your family on your new adventure!

Thanks so much everyone. Have def been checking out the Learning Center. What a wealth of information!

Back
Top Bottom