New to Raising Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bobby4237, Aug 18, 2016.

1. bobby4237

bobby4237 New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? - Yes, me my wife and 14 year old daughter are new to chickens. My daughter wanted to raise them so we did tons or research, and built a nice coop and run and will soon be purchasing our flock.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? None at the moment. We are purchasing 4 pullets on September 3, 2016

(3) What breeds do you have? They will be Golden Comets

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Search chicken questions.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, and preserving what we grow, you might say a little homesteading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We live in north West Georgia, me, wife, daughter, and mom. we have two inside cats. My wife is a homemaker, and sitter for our grand daughter. I currently work in Emergency Management and Homeland Security, previously in the fire service, all totaled about 30 years of some form of public safety. My goal is to retire in 8 years, and 9 months and possibly build a bigger coop and sell eggs, and sell garden fresh veggies as a hobby and not as a source of retirement income.

Glad to be here, thanks for allowing me and my family to join!

Bobby

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Bobby and welcome to BYC - thanks for the intro. I hope that all goes well with your new pullets - personally, I think getting pullets is a more gentle learning curve than getting day old chicks, plus eggs come sooner! [​IMG]

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=learning+centre and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

There's also a host of threads on non-chicken related themes, such as gardening, cooking, baking and forums on almost any backyard animal you could care to imagine.

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Bobby, and :welcome. Great to have you aboard. CTKen has given you some great links so I'll just say best wishes and enjoy BYC!

4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi Bobby, welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us! [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Bobby, Welcome to Backyard chickens.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by