New to raising chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SevenOaksFarm, Aug 20, 2016.

1. SevenOaksFarm

SevenOaksFarm Just Hatched

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    Hi, I guess it is about time I join BYC since I've been reading so much good info here and felt like a stalker. My chicks will be 8 weeks old on Monday. I started out with 21 (3 were freebies from the hatchery) day old chicks (ordered as females) that I picked up at a local hatchery and all survived infancy. I sadly culled one really aggressive, obvious rooster at 4 weeks. :-( Since then I have discovered I have at least one other rooster in the gang and I'm suspicious about at least one other one. I guess the sexing by the hatchery is still in the acceptable error rate of 90-95% but I'm getting a bit nervous as I watch the remaining chicks develop. The good news is that there are no additional aggression issues...yet. I may soon be posting some pics in the thread about identifying sexes.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    :welcome
    You should settle in really well here

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SevenOaks, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community. Best of luck as your chicks continue to grow!

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Welcome to BYC! Sexing can be easier or more difficult depending on the breed. Some Roosters can be very docile and great leaders of a flock. There are a lot of benefits to having a Roo in your flock and I would recommend it if you are able. Best wishes!

5. SevenOaksFarm

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    Thanks! Not too far away...I'm in Missouri!

6. SevenOaksFarm

Aug 20, 2016
    US Midwest
    Thanks for that note about roos! I'm hoping to keep all if they continue to stay within acceptable behaviors. I actually would want good behavior from the hens too! Ha! Luckily, I am not in an area that prohibits Roosters so it will be interesting to keep all remaining. As soon as I figure out the photo uploading, I'll post some.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A rooster can handle 10 hens, otherwise they get overbred. So consider 10 hens for each roo you keep.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

Greetings from South Dakota and [​IMG]!! Glad you joined us. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by