New to raising chickens

murgiyan

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
SF Bay Area
We got 4 Golden Sex Links chicks 2 days ago. This is my first time raising chicks. They're super cute. I have put them in a large clear storage box with a layer of brown paper covered with a thin layer of wood chips. We are keeping the box inside the house for now. They eat, drink water, poop, talk, rest and then same all over again. My son takes them out of the box several times a day. A couple of times we take them out in the backyard. They love to lie flat in the sun :)

I have noticed that one of them has a huge personality. From the time we got them, she kept pecking at the beaks of the other three and bothering them. There were tiny red specks on their beaks so we thought she was hurting them. We separated her a few times from the others. She started crying out so loud, you could hear her from the other end of the house. I think the pecking has reduced but she still is the loudest of the four. The other three seem much quiter and docile. Will this be a problem later on?

The first day they were in a cardboard box so I didn't put the heat lamp. They huddled on top of each other all day and I thought that's how they sleep. Now that they have the heat lamp, they start making a loud noise, everytime I turn it off LOL. With the heat lamp on they are not cold so are not huddling as much either but are more spread out, often laying flat on their tummies. So fun to watch. I am just worried about leaving the heat lamp on all night. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I would suggest switching to a brooder plate. Like this one. https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Ch...s=brinsea+brooder+plate&qid=1593813650&sr=8-2
Or this one. https://www.amazon.com/Brinsea-Ecog...s=brinsea+brooder+plate&qid=1593813945&sr=8-1
I have both and they work great.

For now, or if that's not economically feasible for you, just make sure your heat lamp is secured to something with more than the clip thing on the lamp. Chain it or ziptie it to something so it absolutely cannot fall in the brooder. There is always a slight risk with heat lamps but securing it well reduces that greatly. Your chicks need heat at night so just figure out a way to rig it up securely, and if you can afford it, get a brooder plate. Worth it for the peace of mind!

Welcome to BYC!:welcome

Back
Top Bottom