New to raising chickens

Dec 25, 2023
Washington State
We just got 9 chickens today! It was my Christmas present from my hubby. Any feedback, pointers, do’s and don’ts would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    782.1 KB · Views: 62
Congratulations indeed! Do you have a coop set up for them already? The most important advice I think I can give you is this: chicken wire is designed only to keep chickens IN an enclosure or possibly out of a garden area. It is not strong enough to keep predators OUT of the chicken run (exercise area) or coop where your chickens will live, sleep, lay eggs and play. Instead, invest in some good "hardware cloth," preferably half-inch mesh, to protect your precious flock. Use it to enclose your birds' area from the ground up to about 4' high, and also lay an "apron" of it on the ground around your coop or run and cover it with dirt so predators cannot dig in.

Enjoy your flock, and welcome to BYC!

Congratulations indeed! Do you have a coop set up for them already? The most important advice I think I can give you is this: chicken wire is designed only to keep chickens IN an enclosure or possibly out of a garden area. It is not strong enough to keep predators OUT of the chicken run (exercise area) or coop where your chickens will live, sleep, lay eggs and play. Instead, invest in some good "hardware cloth," preferably half-inch mesh, to protect your precious flock. Use it to enclose your birds' area from the ground up to about 4' high, and also lay an "apron" of it on the ground around your coop or run and cover it with dirt so predators cannot dig in.

Enjoy your flock, and welcome to BYC!
No coop yet. We are improvising for now until we can start building one this weekend. I appreciate the good feed back.

Back
Top Bottom