New to Raising Chickens...

ParrotGirl

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 4, 2010
Luling, Louisiana
Hi my name is Rhonda. My son (age 17) just talked me into buying 2 baby chickens. I've had various parrots all my life and am familiar with bird care, just have not had chickens.
He's thrilled to pieces with his new babies! I ordered the 2 books on this site, Raising Chickens for Dummies and Building Chicken Coops for Dummies.... hope this helps!
Glad to be here and looking forward to meeting some of you!

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Congrats on joining us

You came to the right place. You'll love it here

Imp

welcome-byc.gif
and hello from Indiana

I'm so glad you joined us here! You will find so much information and compassionate caring, and humor! I also have Cockatoos and Eclectus. I've only recently gotten into silky chickens. Compared to the big parrots, chickens are not mental giants. However, I have enjoyed their uncomplicated personalities and simple affection SO much! One thing I do want to stress to you is: Keep your hands clean and sanitized between handling the chickens and the parrots, especially if the chickens live outside or free range on the ground. They can carry things that can sicken or kill your parrots. Just don't take the risk. It's a simple habit to get into. I feed and handle my indoor parrots first each day. Then I take care of the chickens. I then sanitize. Just a suggestion.

I have 1 Blue & Gold Macaw, 3 White Bellied Caiques, 1 Sun Conure, 1 Jenday Conure and 2 Cockatiels.... have had birds as long as I can remember and that's a long time! LOL!
I always feed the indoor parrots first and wash my hands every time I feed or clean any of the parrot or other pet cages... it's the "Golden Rule". And thanks for mentioning it here, maybe others do not know... My son is going to be the primary keeper of the chickens.. my job is just to watch them grow and enjoy them. He is interested in raising silkies too. Haven't found any locally yet, but just getting into the chicken thing... I think they are beautiful. He has 1 Buff Orpington and 1 Black Wyandotte so far ~ hope I spelled those correctly. Do you have any pictures posted of your chickens? Would love to see them....

34695_silkies_3_26_10_005.jpg

Here is my starting flock from last year in their above ground coop (which saves my aching back). They are fluffier now since they're older but so cute at this age.

34695_silkies_3_26_10_009.jpg

One of my hens who has begun to fill out and fluff up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom