New To raising Chickens.

RyanJames202

Hatching
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Have a couple questions about Chickens. How big of a run do 20 chickens need? Im planning a 15x15 run. Im getting chicks next month. Almost have the coop finished its 17x8 plenty of room. Im building a brooder box next weekend how big of one do I need for 20 chicks. Thanks Ryan from Western maryland

welcome-byc.gif
10 sf per bird of run space. Brooder depends on how long you will keep them in there. I used a 3x3 box that worked until they were 6 weeks old.....

Ok great my run will be plenty big. Was thinking of getting a rubbermade storage tote cutting the top out and putting a heat lamp over it.

I used a large rubermaid tub for my broder, the softer plastic ones do melt on the parts closest to the heat lamp though. My babies are in their in the garage. a "lid" is a must have after they get the urge to "Fly". I used a wired mesh peice for that

Ok got another question? How do I support the wire on top on the chicken run. Im going to use wood posts and welded wire fence. the fence is going to be 6ft tall. Thanks for all the help and greetings

We are going to use treated 2x4's across the posts and then securing the wire on top of that. We have I think about the same size run as you. We put a few posts in the middle of their run so we can use the longer boards.

May I make a suggestion? As long as you're in the process of building your coop and run, now is a good time to consider alternatives. Have you thought about, not just putting wire mesh over the top of the run, covering the run so that rain, snow, and wild bird droppings can't get in?

When I built my run four years ago, I put poultry mesh over the top to keep the chickens in and wild things out. But I quickly found out that they needed shade as well as shelter from rain and snow. Also, I found out very soon just how horrible a run smells when it gets wet!

I used 2" x 4's on the long sides, and then I ran 1" x 2's perpendicular to those at three foot intervals. Then I screwed translucent fiberglass panels over that frame. I used green panels in some places for shade and transparent ones over the rest of the pen to allow maximum light. I'm very pleased with it. I recommend it highly.

Recently I added a new pen, and in the days before I got the roofing finished, the chickens avoided that pen. As soon as I put up the roofing, they happily began to use it. It dawned on me that chickens are a lot more comfortable under cover.

welcome-byc.gif
When we built our chicken coop we added a run 12x15 with a metal roof. It has wire all the way to the top so nothing can get inside. Our neighbor, who has chickens, said we were keeping our chickens in "jail" we should let them out. We can't because we live right on the street. Anyway my husband used chain link fence and built them an extension that is 12x60x6 without a top. Sometimes in the afternoon they are all back in the run with the top on it. I don't think they hate it. They have roosts to sit on and they like it. It really works well when it rains or snows since they can still go outside. If I were you I would put a top on the run if you can.

I, too, just had a new coop built and have a large open area for them to roam - however, after several Hawk sitings and reading "predator" posts - I'm going to get busy covering the entire pen. Like the Winchester Mystery House - building never seems to end....must keep these girls safe!

Back
Top Bottom