New to raising chickens

eculver

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
We are new to this raising chickens. We have two chochins almost 4 mos old still not sure but think one is a rooster....anyways we keep them in a coop all day and several times throughout the week let them out to roam....I have noticed the last couple of days that one of them (the one I think is a hen) has been very docile in fact almost like something is wrong she doesn't run from me when I go to pick her up not like the other one...she is sooooo calm. I guess my question is....is that a behavior when nesting??? I don't see any injuries but could the other one be picking....

welcome-byc.gif
Does the hen squat when you approach her? This is a mating behavior and usually means she will begin laying soon.

Having just one hen when a rooster can easy handle 10, can also mean he will be literally breeding her to death - if she can't escape him. Does she show any signs of injury or bareness of her back etc. which would be from over use by the Roo.

You do not need a rooster for the hen to lay eggs. If you plan to have eggs to hatch, then you need a rooster in order for them to be fertile.

Thank you for your response....no signs of injury or bareness to back she just looks submissive. right now they are running around in the back yard and looking happy ha ha ha do chickens look happy :)

Back
Top Bottom