1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to raising quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickgarden, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    We currently have chickens and would like to try raising quail for eggs/pets.
    From what I've read I think coturnix will be the type we try. I've seen some great ideas for pens on here.
    A few questions I had:
    How easy are the eggs to hatch or is it better to start with chicks? I thought it would be a good experience for my kids to watch, but don't want to invest in an expensive incubator. I've seen some inexpensive types but not sure how good they really are.

The coop/ pen that I really liked has two front doors that open out to access the birds, clean, give food and water and collect eggs. Will the quail just fly out? The coop is about 3 feet tall and set on the ground.
    [​IMG]

I hope it's ok that I took a screenshot of this pen from the show us your pens thread.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I have my first batch in the incubator now. I just set them yesterday. From what I have been told, Cortunix Quail are the best for first time hatchers. I read on another post that you can pretty much leave them in a bowl out in the yard and they will hatch. That's why I got some. I have hatched over 20 clutches of chicken and duck eggs in my old cheap still air styrofoam Little giant that came from Tractor supply. The pen looks good. I am still sketching out my plans as I want to hatch bobwhites also.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

It's not a wise practice to bring live birds to a place where you keep live birds, without quarantining them first. For that reason alone I only hatch eggs for new stock. I've gone to look at birds on craigslist and seen people who raise really nice birds in clean spaces, and i've seen people with disgusting flocks and a hodge podge of diseases.

Craigslist usually has an incubator or two pretty cheap just disinfect it really good then leave it in the sun for 4-8 hours before you use it.

They probably won't fly out the doors much, coturnix don't fly much and when they do are easy to run down.

If you are handy build your own incubator, BYC has pages of diagrams on how to.

4. chickgarden

chickgarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Thank you both for your replies! The chickens and quail won't be near each other, two different places in my yard. I'm happy to hear they aren't difficult to hatch. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether I end up with too many males. I wonder how easy it is to get rid of male quails? Craigslist?

Thanks for the info on building an incubator. I didn't even know that was an option.

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Getting rid of males takes around 45 minutes. From the time I take out of the cage until it comes off the bbq.

6. davedavey

davedavey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    washington state
    That's good! I still have yet to decap any of my quail yet.

7. kaelen37

kaelen37 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2014
    Getting 11 this weekend :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by