New To Showing, What is NPIP Identifier & How Do I Obtain One

SugarCochin

Chirping
Feb 22, 2021
Hi I am trying to enroll my quail and bantams for my county fair as I do 4h and it is my first year doing poultry. However to enroll I need a NPIP identifier. I am trying to research but I still do not know what it is and how to get one. Where do I go? What do I do?

Oh and are there anything specific for Tag Color, or an I just get any color. Sorry, I literally have no idea what I am doing...
Screenshot 2022-04-15 3.33.19 PM.png

I don't know what they mean by tag color.

NPIP is a federal program administered by each state. Requirements and how to obtain will vary some depending on where you live.

Call your state agriculture/livestock/food and markets division (whatever in that list lines up closest to what your state calls it). Or look online in your state website of that division searching for NPIP registration. It should provide links to contact number or application you'll fill out and if your state has fees attached.

In the end someone will come to your property and test your birds for one or more disease. Once that is done you get an identification number and are part of the National Poultry Improvement Program. What this means is you'll be tested annually and can only obtain birds from NPIP participants.

Back
Top Bottom