New to Showing!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Shortstuff112, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Shortstuff112

Shortstuff112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Maryland
    I have been raising free range egg layers for the past 10 years but I recently decided to switch to a show flock in the spring. I am planning to get about 8 hens ( would they have a lot of issues without a roster? ). I am wondering which breeds are the most docile and trainable. I have always gotten chicks from Murray McMurrays but they only sell chicks at a minimum of 25. Do any of you know any good websites to get small orders of chicks?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If you want to show exhibition poultry, you'll need to get birds from some place other than a hatchery. Hatchery birds are bred to be layers/meat birds, not show quality chickens that conform to the American Poultry Associations's Standard of Perfection. You'd be better off looking for some local breeders.

Eight hens would be fine without a rooster. Hens can live without roosters, though you won't get fertile eggs. If you really want to show birds, you will probably want to start breeding them. So, getting a rooster would be a good idea.

Some good docile breeds that also make good showbirds and should be easy to find include Wyandottes, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Orpingtons, Silkies, and various bantam breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by