New to site but could use some help,.

Connies352

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
This is a picture post to carry on from my introduction post, It was suggested that I post the hens in question here instead of introduction post feed. Long story short I bought several hens from a couple of people that were not so truthful with me and now I don't know what they really are.

~~Update on my progress, another of my 10 week olds was found dead this evening when I got home, it was walking around this morning when I left for work and I found it in the house pecked up. Im going to post picks of the ones I have questions about breed if you can help it would be great.

This one I was told was a phoenix, aruacana cross and would lay green eggs, no green eggs so not laying? according to the lady she said it should be 7 months.

This one supposedly 8 months and is leghorn, RIR cross but lady didn't have any white RIR. She is laying huge White eggs.

This was to be an araucana and 7 months old, again not getting any eggs but white and brown. I don't think shes old enough to lay yet, is there a way to tell if they are laying or not?

This white one is one of the remaining little ones with no idea what they are because defiantly not what he told me they were.

This gray one is the one in question, The second gray one was the one that died today, the two browns to her left are the two RIR that were part of the same batch, but im pretty sure that they are RIR.

TThis black one is the one in the same group, it has some dark brown on her chest so im pretty sure this is the black sexlink that he was talking about, There where two of them is original batch.

The babies I got have been identified as barred rocks but posting n e wy cause they are cuties Any help I can get is great, just starting and should have checked this site out before buying any, but mark it up to experience cause it wont happen again. Thaniks Connie

LL
This one is a rooster as it looks fairly young with a lot of red comb, maybe 3 months...probably a Splash Cochin?

The rest are probably what you say they are....other than the Araucana are Easter Egger mixes, and I think are both pullets...the white with black tail markings looks to be pullet, but that might be a bit of saddle...hard to tell in the photo...which might mean young rooster...Araucanas (at least in the United States SOP) do not have beard and muffs while these do...so somewhere in the background there was Ameraucana (beard/muff, pea comb, blue eggs) not Araucana (tufted ears, tail-less, blue eggs). Easter Eggers can potentially lay blue/green eggs but only if they got the blue egg gene, otherwise they can lay brown or even white. If they have a pea comb (and I think they do), there is a good likelihood they have the blue egg gene as the pea comb and blue gene are close on the DNA strand. They look like the are not quite at point of lay, or just coming into lay...EE's develop slowly. It is not unusual to have them start to lay eggs at 6 to 7 months of age. Hopefully they will lay a green egg for you.

The RIR's are that and laying; your Black Sexlink is that and not at point of lay yet. The blue grey bird looks like it might be a Blue Orpington, not at point of lay yet either. The white bird could very well be a Leghorn mix (the one laying large white eggs).

You can tell which birds are laying by examining the bird. Those that are female (of course) at the point of lay will have plump red combs and wattles showing their hormones are in action. They will also have an elongated vent, like a straight line, while a bird that is not laying will have a "puckered" looking, small vent. A bird who is laying will also have more space between her keel and between her legs. I'll post a good article below to help you see what I mean.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Be sure to isolate any birds that may appear sick. Always isolate new birds from your current flock for at least 2 weeks to prevent transmission of disease or parasites.

Lady of McCamley

Article: http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/ALBCchicken_assessment-2.pdf

Video:

and
welcome-byc.gif

To follow up on Lady's post, here's a video that might help you determine who is laying and who is not. Remember, it's completely normal for laying hens to stop laying for a while after they're moved to a new home.

This is a picture post to carry on from my introduction post, It was suggested that I post the hens in question here instead of introduction post feed. Long story short I bought several hens from a couple of people that were not so truthful with me and now I don't know what they really are.

~~Update on my progress, another of my 10 week olds was found dead this evening when I got home, it was walking around this morning when I left for work and I found it in the house pecked up. Im going to post picks of the ones I have questions about breed if you can help it would be great.
could be a phoenix/Easter egger cross. Doesn't look to be laying yet.
This one I was told was a phoenix, aruacana cross and would lay green eggs, no green eggs so not laying? according to the lady she said it should be 7 months.
When you mix Leghorns with pretty much any other breed, you still get a white bird, so could have been a leghorn/RIR mix from color. However, that cross would not give you white eggs, you'd get brown. To get white eggs, you pretty much need both parents to be white egg layers. There are ways to do it with mixed breed birds, and I'm guessing that's what you have here.
This one supposedly 8 months and is leghorn, RIR cross but lady didn't have any white RIR. She is laying huge White eggs.
Not Aracauna, could be Easter egger, but mixed with what to give those white legs? From color, the most likely guess would be a light Sussex.
This was to be an araucana and 7 months old, again not getting any eggs but white and brown. I don't think shes old enough to lay yet, is there a way to tell if they are laying or not?
Can you get a closer pic of this bird? I'm thinking it's a younger cockerel, not a hen that old. Mixed breed, could have cochin in it, but also has something else to give it those pretty white legs.
This white one is one of the remaining little ones with no idea what they are because defiantly not what he told me they were.
Not sure what this pretty grey girl is, some type of mixed breed. Those two RIR in front of her look to be males.
This gray one is the one in question, The second gray one was the one that died today, the two browns to her left are the two RIR that were part of the same batch, but im pretty sure that they are RIR.
Black sex link hen, I'd say somewhere around 4ish months old
TThis black one is the one in the same group, it has some dark brown on her chest so im pretty sure this is the black sexlink that he was talking about, There where two of them is original batch.

The babies I got have been identified as barred rocks but posting n e wy cause they are cuties Any help I can get is great, just starting and should have checked this site out before buying any, but mark it up to experience cause it wont happen again. Thaniks Connie

Here are the additional pictures

This one is suppose to be a female and shoul be 11 weeks old

This is an upclose of the one that was suppose to be araucana and was suppose to be 6-7 months old now but don't think she is laying quite yet.

this is closer view of the gray one

This is closer view of RIR someone said looked like roo

Back
Top Bottom