New to site..... hoping to learn alot about chickens

DsrtBratChicken

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
Apple Valley, CA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My family and I have been raising chickens since 2011 when we got our first chickens. We've added on since, lost a few, added a lot more since then. Our chickens are all pets, and will never be used for food. After hand raising 31 chicks.... half of which went to a friend, I could never ever eat my babies for dinner.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

As of right now we have 21 hens; 2-4yr old, 3-3yr old, 15- newbies 8 month old chickens, including 2 roosters; both Americana. I also have a rooster from neighbors which is yard mix.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Breeds i have are as follows, we've got a large mix..... Black austrope = 1, Black sex-link = 3, Welsummer = 3, Buff Orpington=3, Americana =5, Rhode Island Red=3, White Austrope=1, I think I got them all but we have so many i can't remember them all.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Found the site several years ago when my family and I started to raise chickens, it's been very helpful for information while we raise our backyard chickens.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love crocheting, quilting, baking, making soy candles, sewing, reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
A family of 4, my mom is a RN, my father and I are both disabled and on SSI. We started raising chickens back in 2011 after my grandmother passed away, the prices for eggs out in California went THROUGH the roof, and when on a limited budget paying $5 for a dozen eggs was just stupid, so we got with a friend of ours who had been raising chickens for years; when possible we'd buy eggs from her. She helped us get the first 6 chickens we got, and from there we've slowly added on, here n there. This last spring we actually for the first time bought chicks from the hatchery and raised them, i will say this much i'm amazed at how small they come when they're shipped out, and that all of ours arrived ALIVE and WELL. 8 months later they're eating 2x a day; getting treats n scratch before sunset so they are warm when going to bed. they're all starting to lay; the ones who are girls at least, We still have to report to the hatchery the 6 chicks that ended up being boys, so we can either get more chicks or a refund, not sure what the parents are going to do, either way i'm all for more chicks, if they're all GIRLS. but even with a 90% guarantee for girls there are oopsies.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a very good and thorough introduction and a nice mix of breeds. Black Sex Links are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. You should get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined us
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for such a nice introduction! It sounds like you have a very nice mixed flock. Nice to hear BYC has been of help to you, there is so much information here and a lot of really helpful members.

In addition to all the chicken forums, there's one for hobbies you might enjoy:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/41/hobbies

Make yourself at home here, it's nice to have you join us!

Back
Top Bottom