New to the beautiful chicken world......

Yes, I meant pine shavings. They seem to like it. I figured I would mix it in. The pine shavings I'm using are OMRI certified so completely organic. I'm going to try layering with the costal hay and diatomaceous earth. I don't necessarily KNOW that the hay has been sprayed, but I don't NOT KNOW either. We will see how they like it and if it causes problems I'll pull it out. Still really impressed every time I see pics of your coop and you having had no carpentry experience. That gives me some hope!
Take care

Yes, I meant pine shavings. They seem to like it. I figured I would mix it in. The pine shavings I'm using are OMRI certified so completely organic. I'm going to try layering with the costal hay and diatomaceous earth. I don't necessarily KNOW that the hay has been sprayed, but I don't NOT KNOW either. We will see how they like it and if it causes problems I'll pull it out. Still really impressed every time I see pics of your coop and you having had no carpentry experience. That gives me some hope!
Take care

how hot can your area get?

bedding is ideal since it will be easy to clean.. but not more than 1-2 in if you are in the desert state where it can get up to 10+ (or 115-120 here)

since you do not want to have some deep litter/compost pile as the floor the coop/run while in 100+ degree heat

Last edited:
We get pretty hot in the summer. It was 94 today. We will have temps over 100, but not too terribly many. Is it bad to do the deep litter method in extra hot temps?

We get pretty hot in the summer. It was 94 today. We will have temps over 100, but not too terribly many. Is it bad to do the deep litter method in extra hot temps?

composting is a good way to turn your fruits/veggies waste+ chicken manure/dried leaves,etc.. into compost (without having to pay for them at the store) for your garden

but the thing with compost is it will heat up

when i have new stuffs to add into the bin.. i have to turn it.. and it's like standing next to an oven-- it's a natural process of composting-- heat will be generated in the process as the materials are decomposed by microbes..

deep litter method is pretty much composting..

you do not want to use deep litter method in the desert states-- especially during the hot months.. it's ok during the winter months..

with deep litter bedding and 90+ degree heat.. soon or later your chickens will die of heat stroke

often time they will dig and bury themselves in the ground or stay where it is the coolest..

so having the whole run floor like a hot pan will backfired

my chickens tend to stay on the half side of the run that is bare earth around the pan of water, waterer and wet ground to stay cool..

i don't see them lying on pine shaving side of the run as much anymore .

this is why i left it 50/50

Last edited:
I like the idea of 50/50. Does your run or coop have any shade? As of now mine really won't have shade. The area I have to keep them in in order to be in compliance with the city code is away from any shade.

Thanks! I appreciate that! More advice and tips are always welcome! My girls are growing fast- I need to post a new pic!

I like the idea of 50/50. Does your run or coop have any shade? As of now mine really won't have shade. The area I have to keep them in in order to be in compliance with the city code is away from any shade.

often time it's 110+ here during the summer months

officially, it's still spring but we already getting summer temperatures around here

my city does not have a problem with my coop/run since it's under 300 sq ft in size and under 6ft tall + i keep it out of sight (in the middle of my yard)

originally, i was thinking of only covering half of the roof.. (it's still a learning process for me) after watching them doing their best to stay out of the sun.. i decided to cover the whole roof + the east side of the run as well

i also provide extra shade with these 6'x8 shade screen that i put above the run

i have 3 of these in storage so.. just putting them into good use.

often time it's 110+ here during the summer months officially, it's still spring but we already getting summer temperatures around here my city does not have a problem with my coop/run since it's under 300 sq ft in size and under 6ft tall + i keep it out of sight (in the middle of my yard) originally, i was thinking of only covering half of the roof.. (it's still a learning process for me) after watching them doing their best to stay out of the sun.. i decided to cover the whole roof + the east side of the run as well i also provide extra shade with these 6'x8 shade screen that i put above the run i have 3 of these in storage so.. just putting them into good use.
Now that sir is an awesome idea! Such great advice! I was just at Home Depot yesterday looking at the lumber and such getting myself geared up to build the run. I'm going to build it on to the side and down the front on my coop. I priced the lumber and it was less than $1.50 per piece. I'll rent the truck that they have there to bring my lumber back to the house and start building Away thanks to you! Did you use a regular hammer and nails or a nail gun when building? Also, did you staple the wire mesh onto the wood frame or use screws? I'm sorry I have so many questions, but you are a wealth of knowledge and I like the fact that you say you had no carpentry skills prior!

Back
Top Bottom