New to The Chicken Life!

A Merritt

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2015
Hi Everyone!
My family thinks I've gone off the reservation.
Anywho, I now have 8 Red Comets & drank the Kool aide!
I have a small farm in Woodruff, SC & our HOA just dissolved so the Bird Ban has been lifted. YAHOO!
I wanted chickens to help with my horse manure parasite problem. The eggs are an added bene!
LOVE the site!
Ali

Hi :welcome Ali

Glad you could join the flock! Your small farm sounds great. Sounds like you are enjoying your birds too. No one her will think you have gone off the reservation!!

Good luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Red Comet is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and they are laying machines. You should get loads of large brown eggs from those girls. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I had my breed wrong. They are Gold Stars. (What a rookie) :)

Hi Ali,
welcome-byc.gif

Red Comets and Gold Stars are the same thing, just a couple of the several names the red sex links go by. See, you're doing ok!

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I had my breed wrong. They are Gold Stars. (What a rookie) :)
Actually you didn't have the breed wrong as Red Sex Links are actually hybrids and not a breed; you were just using a different label. :eek:) Gold Star is another of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links which are produced by crossing red gene roosters with silver gene hens. Other labels under which RSLs are marketed include Red Star, Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, Gold Sex Link. Brown Sex Link, Isa Brown, Golden Buff, Red Shaver, Brown Shaver, Warrens, etc., but no matter which label they are marketed under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, consistently churning out more than 300 large brown eggs per hen per year.

Thank You, Michael! I realize how very little I know now. :)
My 8 girls have been laying 4 eggs/day. YIPPEE!
Looking forward to turning them out of their coop on Sat. That will be 1 week since they came to live with me. As suggested, I will let them out about 1 hour before roosting time.
Hugs,
Ali

Back
Top Bottom