New to the chicken world

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by honeyb711, Jun 30, 2016.

1. honeyb711

honeyb711 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Hi we adopted 3 chicks today. They are 7-10days old. We obviously dont know genders yet, hoping female though xx We do not know breed either though, so will be doing alot of research as they grow. I will try not ask too many annoying silly questions [​IMG]

I must admit, i had to do some research on how they sleep...seeing them with their necks stretched out & faces in the bedding did have me worried for a little while [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Chicks do have strange sleeping habits! And I must confess I got caught out badly a few times lol Sometimes they sleep like this too:

[​IMG]

3. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Sumi, your chicks sleep like I do :lol: that's cute, welcome to BYC honeyb :welcome

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new chicks :clap I too agree that they can have some rather strange sleeping habits! My first ever chicks got sick of me prodding them to make sure they were OK!

Wishing you the very best of luck with them in the future. Don't worry about asking too many questions, you can't ask too many! Everyone here to help you along the way.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Yes, chick's sleeping habits can be rather alarming at first [​IMG] Thanks for joining us!

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicks can even fall asleep standing up. Have you visited the Learning Center? It has answers to questions, you haven't even thought of yet.

8. honeyb711

honeyb711 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]

I found out today the 3 breeds we have are

*Australorp
    *Light sussex
    *Lohmon

I hope i spelt them properly [​IMG]

I checked on them at least 10 times during the night, & watched over them today between jobs... they are all eating, drinking, pooping, sleeping & chirping, so i assume everyone is happy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by