new to the community

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kdunn, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Kdunn

Kdunn In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2018
    Well we just jumped into the chicken community. have 6 rhode island reds about 3-4 weeks old. Putting up the coop this weekend. Love it so far. Any suggestions, tips, tricks appreciated.

I have heard pros and cons of having water in the coop and not out-but with being in northern IL, figured I will have to have on inside and running on a circulation pump to keep from freezing. any suggestions appreciated.

2. Phoenixheart14

Phoenixheart14 Chirping

Mar 15, 2018
    :welcome

I live in central Texas, so I can't help you on the heated water.

So happy you're diving into the world of chickens!

3. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. Similarly, I have no experience with keeping chickens in cold temperatures. I'd suggest using the search function for suggestions. These links may be interesting

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-chicken-keeping
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-chicken-keeping

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean, Joeschooks, Kdunn and 3 others like this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    Alt-WELCOME-farmer-connie-1.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

I do not have to worry about frozen water here!

I have seen heated water fountains that seem to work well

6. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Welcome to BYC! Great to have you here!

We don't have the long winter or the deep cold like you do. But when we get a couple of weeks in the 20s, I just break ice up a few times a day (I work from home, so I can do that during the day, too). And if I need to be gone for most of the day, I give them warm water before I go, to have it last longer.

But I expect that wouldn't work for a lot of people, because their water would freeze more quickly and they just wouldn't be around at all during the day.

You could probably make it work with a five gallon bucket with a stock tank heater (or a bird bath heater) and horizontal nipples screwed into the sides of the bucket.

7. alexa009

alexa009 Crossing the Road

Apr 6, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome to backyard chickens!:frow Glad you joined the flock! Cold winters can usually be a problem when comes to supplying water for the chickens but I always detach my hose when water becomes frozen and makes it difficult to pump out. Although I rarely get those problems where I live. I sure hope you enjoy being in the BYC community! A lot of forums to post in articles to read etc.. Again, :welcome!

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the BYC community and the world of chicken keeping.

9. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! If there’s one piece of advice I’d give it’s to start with a coop and run bigger than you need. Sure you’ll be adding to your flock come next year! :thumbsup

007Sean, ronott1 and drumstick diva like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcome

007Sean and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: