New to the coop - Charleston, SC

La Petite Maison Jaune

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2020
Charleston, SC
Hello everyone!

I’m brand new to chickens but will getting two adult hens (golden sex link and an easter egger) from a farmer friend soon! I’ve been thinking about raising chickens since moving from an urban apartment to my home in Charleston three years ago. I used my free time during this spring Stay At Home to do a lot of research on BYC (thank you!), get consent from neighbors, and start building.

My coop is 3.5x4’ with two nest boxes and the run is 4x10’. It’s been quite a learning experience as I haven’t built anything before. I’ve got a few more days of assembling hardware cloth panels on the back and top, creating a pulley system on the pop door, adding a perch, and finishing food and water dishes.

Future improvements I’m planning include: curtains for the nesting box, exterior shutters with traditional Charleston shutterdogs, moving some of my garden herbs into planters for the chickens, building a gutter and barrel to collect and reuse rainwater, and making a barley fodder ladder.

I’m planning to feed Layer 16% crumbles with oyster shell for supplementation, which is what they're used to from the farm. I would love suggestions about also using spent grain (from a brewery), barley sprouts, and sourdough starter.

The beagle, who turns 13 next month, is in charge of inspections and squirrel patrol.

Thanks and I look forward to learning from and sharing with everyone!

JB

Attachments

• Coop and run.JPG
    Coop and run.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Coop front view.JPG
    Coop front view.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 6
  • Coop and dog.jpg
    Coop and dog.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 6
Hello, and welcome to BYC. I'd suggest getting 3 birds. That way when one eventually dies, two will remain as company for one another. Good luck.
Thanks, @sourland. We were thinking of 2-3 chickens, as we have 2 adults in the house and eat a lot of eggs, and a friend offered to give us 2. So we figured we'd start with that but would hope to add another down the line. I know there are things to keep in mind when introducing a new hen and I'll be back for advice when we get there. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom