New to the country life!

Fragosofarm

In the Brooder
May 2, 2017
Hi I bought my wife some bantam chicks for her birthday she had been beggin me about them for along time she wanted chickens again. I'm totally new to it. And when I do somthing I go big or go home. So I went and got her 6 from the feed store. I don't no any of there breeds they are about 18 weeks old now. My buddy breeds chickens for fun as a family thing has tons of game breeds. So I went over and he gave me 4 layin hens. And they are Road island, 2 bread rocks, and a coocmarons or somthing like that. And 2 2 month old bread rocks. I want some goo laying chicken to add but I alway want a roster that will protec them I have 12 right now I'm going to have about 20-25?

welcome-byc.gif
I wouldn't count on a rooster to protect them. Some roos ' chicken out' and leave hens to their own defense. Some roos charge into the fray and just get killed first.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with D/Diva - alarm calling they are good at, but nothing that an alpha hen won't do, in the absence of a cock bird.

G’Day from down under Fragosofarm
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received a link to your best starting point from Ken, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread. The folks there will also be familiar with the predator risk for your area: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom