new to the duck world..

sallysinnamon

Songster
9 Years
Dec 4, 2010
south eastern
hello. i'm new here and new to raising ducks..

i have a few questions..thought maybe you could help me out?

1. a non freezing waterer. i need an honest opinion on what's best? i know what the stores have arent always the best option, but if it comes down to getting one of those, they offer a plastic waterer that fills from the bottom..all one piece. or a galvanized steel heated base with a separate waterer. any experience with either or experience with something better is welcomed!!

2. feet problems. i have a pekin that developed bumblefoot on one of her "toes". i took her to the vet, they gave her an antibiotic, said to give salt water soaks and compresses to try and open it up. the vet was reluctant to cut it open..i guess fearing another infection. the bump got slightly smaller..she stopped limping. but it's still there. do i go back and insist on them lancing it? is it full of infection still?

3. do all of you handle your ducks on a regular basis? my ducks are pretty friendly..if i sit on the ground theyll sit next to me..up against me..etc..but for the most part don't like to be handled. they like to stay on the ground. almost makes me feel like a bad duck owner..even though i dont think i am..i dont force the issue..but it made the trip to the vet awkward.

thanks for your time..thats all for now..

welcome-byc.gif

1.) Not sure, I've just filled the bowls with hot water every few hours.

2.) Sorry, I cant help you, mine have never had bumblefoot.

3.) Don't worry, most ducks don't like to be picked up much.

I tried out a water heater last winter that I plan to install in the night pen pretty soon.

It is similar to a large inverted pie pan. The water bowl sits on top. It must be a metal bowl. I found a stainless steel bowl that works well.

I would avoid galvanized. There are debates about it, but for me, I do not want to risk zinc leaching into their drinking water.

I treat bumblefoot (happily, we have been blessed with finding it early) with twice a day hydrogen peroxide rinse, povidone iodine rinse, triple antibiotic, and a bootie at night to keep it clean at least overnight. It takes a few weeks for that to work, but I feel it is better than opening the skin.

Now I have heard that advanced cases of bumblefoot require opening. But we have avoided that so far. We watch out for limping, favoring feet, and sometimes I just pick them up and check.

I use peas as treats, and hold a bunch in my half-closed hand to encourage the ducks to make contact. I sit with them regularly, just to be with them, talk to them, and pet them. It makes picking them up for inspection or medication much, much easier.

Good for you, looking out for your little birds!

My guys go into their house at night, voluntarily I might add and it's only 4x5 so they have no food or water. I bring in their waterer at night so it won't freeze. It hasn't frozen during the day either because their faces are constantly in it and it's one of those that fills by itself, so too much action to freeze....plus it's not usually that cold.

Never had bumblefoot.

My guys don't really like to be picked up, but I will sit with them and they will climb in my lap and bill me to death. Peas and mealworms seem to be the trick for mine. They'll let me scritch their crops and back of the neck, but don't like it if I try and pat their backs.

Back
Top Bottom