New to the duck world

Newchics

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 15, 2014
Adkins, Texas
Hello everyone! i am new to ducks. I have hatched several chicks from eggs provided by our neighbor. this go around she gave us 7 chicken eggs and 24 duck eggs. i have no idea what they are. They are a mix of different ones so its a surprise to all of us if they hatch

Do duck eggs candle the same as chicken eggs? What should I be looking for? what do they need different from chicks besides 7 more days of incubation, etc.

Ducks are kind-of different from chickens. When candling the chickens should be progressing slightly slower than chickens because they take longer to hatch. By week 2 you should be seeing movement in the egg. I was able to talk to my ducks in their eggs and they'd respond. That was at 3 weeks though. You should try it, it is very cool to see them responding to your voice. Also make sure you remove any dead eggs right away, they'll be yellow instead of red/orange and won't be growing if they're dead. But don't do it right away, there was a 3 day stretch where I didn't see much change and got worried, but 10 days later he hatched into a beautiful mallard. Enjoy your ducks and chickens candling every day, you see huge growth developments especially in the first few days. They change literally over night! Duck eggs need moisture. They need water o their eggs every day otherwise the membrane in the egg gets to dry and makes hatching almost impossible without human help. I know because my guy needed a lot of help, of course that was my first time. Since then I've learned much and have had more successful hatches.Don't get scared if they take over a day from pip to hatch. My guy took almost 2 days. It was about 36 hours. He was born on memorial day at 2:37 am. I stayed up all night. You may, during duck hatches, need to spray water on the egg. I don't know what else to say, unless you have questions. Good luck!

Just be sure to have something for the duck to swim in when they get older, as for hatching it is a bit scattered all of my duck eggs are put in on the same day but can hatch up to a six day difference. So yeah just be on the watch for them.

Back
Top Bottom