new to the flock .......

Chicks4MyChicks

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2016
Hello Everyone

In the final stages of building our coop/run and will be getting our chickens on August 8. I have done a lot of online research and reading and think I have put together a pretty nice coop.

We are planning to have 6 chickens and they will be aprox 9-10 weeks old when we get them. At this point it looks like we will be getting; 2-buff opringtons , 1-partridge rock , 1-white rock , 1-black australorp and either a silver or golden laced wyandotte.

We live in a smallish town and the only chickens readily available seem to be rhode island reds ........ I like to be different so we will be driving about 2.5 hours to get our new chickens

This weekend I have to build a feeder, waterer, access ramp and get some door latch hardware ...........

I may have questions .........

thanks
Dax

Hi Dax and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Great coop - I'm sure that your girls will be very happy. Ask away - everyone is only too happy to help.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre 
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads. 

You may wish to consider joining your state thread  as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
CT

Hi and welcome to BYC! The coop looks great, and it sounds like you're planning a nice flock! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us. And congrats on getting your own flock.

Great job on the coop - looks like a "Waspinator" or similar product hanging inside. I have used those on my deck and around my shed and they do keep the wasps from building close by. Should help prevent issues of getting rid of those pests in the run. But if wasps build inside the coop and your flock can access them - they will eat those wasps and clear the nests :)

I envy your fenced yard, hope you are able to enjoy letting the gals out with supervision.

Good luck in the new adventure, I know you are going to have fun and a lot of wonderful surprises ahead.

Thanks for the warm welcome

So now we are having a bit of a conundrum choosing breeds ........

we are only allowed 6 hens in our City Bylaw ....... originally we decided on the following;

2 Buff Orpingtons , 1 White Rock , 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Black Australorp, ...... all from the same guy , all (5) are about 8 weeks old

at that point we were searching for a Laced Wyandotte either Silver or Golden from another source

This evening I found a Golden Laced Wyandotte from another source, and it is also about 8 weeks old .......... you would think everything had worked out perfectly !

but now the lady with the Golden Laced Wyandotte also informs me that she has Welsummers and Buckeyes ready to go at the same time

I had not given either much consideration simply because I have not seen them available

so now I'm toying with the idea of replacing the original Partridge Rock with one of these two ....... the Welsummer or Buckeye...... might be able to go down to just 1 Buff Orpington and get both , but the Buff Orpington are my kids' favourite

What are your thoughts of this mix of birds?

things to consider .......

I have two girls (human) ages 6&7 who plan to make these birds their pets .......... so they need to be friendly
I have neighbours very close by and I need to keep the peace, with quiet birds .........
Although I live in Canada, our winters are mild ........ might dip below freezing for 3 weeks a year, just barely though ..... very little to no snow
the run is 6' x 16' covered and dry , limited supervised 'free ranging' in our side yard (6' fenced)
coop is roomy (ish) at 4' x 6' ....... up to 6' ceiling , well ventilated

thanks for any and all input / response

Dax

Back
Top Bottom