New to the forum and keeping chickens...

twizted1

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2015
Just posting a brief introduction post on here.

New member from the foothills of the Appalachians in Tennessee. I am working on a coop and run design to start with chickens for the kids, gf, and I to start learning with. Background has been in cattle raised on my grandfather and dad's farms, never had chickens on either one in my lifetime.

We're starting to get a bit of livestock started to get the kids (ages 4 & 6) started learning to care for them and where their food comes from. Started with meat hogs this year (cattle still on my dad's farm and the former in-laws farm for them to learn about as well), chickens are next on our list. Looking to likely start with a small flock (10 pullets + 1 rooster) of buff orpingtons or barred rocks (or a combination thereof) unless something changes my mind.

A little more on the coop design, I am designing it around a 8' high x 8' wide frame, length can be varied as needed to get more of a run area for them. My design this far has a raised coop approx 8x4x5' high raised 24-30" above the run and the run stretching for an additional 8-12' currently) Hardware cloth around all openings (19 GA, 1/2x1/2") with concrete blocks creating the foundation, buried in the ground to help prevent burrowing. Framing will be pressure treated for all bottom boards and non-pressure treated above that (painted of course). Coop has 4"x40" and 4"x75" vents at the top of each wall and Windows on each wall that call be opened or shuttered as needed based on weather. All shutters are intended to be hinged at the top to allow them to be partially opened and help shield any weather from blowing in if need be. Laying boxes are accessible from the outside of the coop to gather eggs for when the time comes. I've tried to research and think this through, although I'm sure there are some things I'm probably missing. Next up is to build the coop and get it painted, then can come the chickens...

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for kids. My children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loved our chickens and made lap pets of the calmer and more gentle breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built.

Hi, welcome to BYC!

It sounds like you have a well thought out plan for your coop and chickens. So many people get the chicks first and then have to quickly build a coop because chicks grow so fast. Your kids should enjoy chickens, they are very entertaining.

If you have any questions or want to share your coop build pictures, feel free to jump in and make yourself at home here.

Good to have you here!

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, so glad you joined us. Would love to see photos of your coop. A lot of thought and planning has gone into your efforts, if you have it documented with photos and description - you may want to add to the coop section of BYC. Now and then BYC also has a coop contest, which you could enter.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I've been lurking for a couple of months now reading and learning what I can.

As for our coop, it's still in the design stage, but should be ready to start framing hopefully in the next few weeks (when I have a free weekend again). I'll definitely take pictures of it in process, and post the end product on here.

Sounds good @twizted1 , hope you enjoy doing it
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom