New to the forum, but not new to backyard chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sirrobyn0, Feb 1, 2015.

1. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    So I've already posted my first post in the Duck forum, but I thought I should make my official introduction. I have been lurking on these boards for some where around a year now and figured it was time for me to start participating. I'm male and in my mid-30's. I have had backyard chickens since I was a child, but not continuously. We have now started keeping backyard ducks and geese (not with the chickens btw) which I don't know much about so we are learning about them as we go. The chickens have a house, with a roost and laying boxes as well as an outdoor run. As much as possible we open up the door on the house during the daytime so they can run around the woods and the yard, they seem to enjoy it and it really cuts down on the feed bill. We have been selling the chicken eggs for sometime now and we are getting very close to the break even point. It really looks like by summer they will be paying for their own food. I've never expected nor wanted to make money off of 7 hens and a rooster but I do think the idea of being able to buy their food with money made off the sale of eggs is pretty neat.

The Ducks and Greese not so much, only today did I find my first duck eggs, and since I am totally new with them I just don't know what to expect. I posted in the Duck form about those guys so I won't duplicate it here I'll just mention that I am fairly well seasoned with the chickens, but a total noob where it comes to ducks and geese.

I'm really looking forward to getting involved here in the community both sharing what I know and have learned about chickens and also learning about the Ducks and Geese from the find folks here on the forum all ready.

Rob

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Rob, welcome to BYC. The folks over in the duck forum arte friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Good luck with your flocks.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined us.

Good luck with your ducks, geese, and chickens![​IMG] I've always wanted to raise ducks and geese, but don't have the space.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

Good luck with all of your birds! What breeds do you raise?

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks for all the warm welcoming's !!!

Breeds for the Chickens I've had a lot of different breeds especially as a kid. Right now we have one gal who is an older sex link. 3 Rode Island Reds, 2 Americans and one American Rooster and boy is he a pretty bird, and heavy too. I really like this combination. The rodies are the real producers in the bunch egg wise, but I like the americans for the egg color variety. And also my American rooster is MUCH more aggressive and real protective of the flock which I think is a really good thing. Our sexlink rooster I don't think he did anything to protect the girls.

The ducks we have 4 ducks, three are khaki campbells, and one 500.
    The geese are two buffs and two toulouses.

Might seem like an eclectic mix, but it's what we got!

Rob

7. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Rob, nice to meet you. Welcome to the Backyard Chickens flock - glad you joined us.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by