New to the Forum

UtilityX

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I was raised in a chicken yard. Barefooted. (even though I DID get in trouble when I didn't have my shoes on)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We bought our first house early summer and I bought a quad of Khaki Campbell ducks to keep for eggs but the neighbor called the city on me. Apparently you can have chicken hens and no ducks. :he So zero. I have zero birds right now. Thanks for reminding me! :hit

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm looking to start raising utility breed pigeons. Backyard-Guerrilla style.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Watching the birds run around catching bugs, fresh eggs daily, and all in my backyard? What's not to like?

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Camping, Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, building stuff

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
Me and my woman live in one of those anti-freedom zones called a "Town", we have 2 dogs and 2 cats, currently fostering a 3rd dog.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
Found the forum years ago. Joined to make a post about pigeons, of all things.

Thanks for having me!
-Dave

Last edited:
Keep an eye on the neighbor.
The one on the other side had a lone bantam rooster when we first got here. I had a Khaki Campbell drake and three hens but one of my hens was outcast from the lot. After a while, I couldn't find her so I figured she flew off. It was almost 2 weeks later and I was doing yard work when I heard her quacking in my neighbors yard. I went over and there she was. Her and that rooster were hanging out! The other neighbor called the law on me for my ducks and while animal control was there, the little bantam crowed, and that was that. My neighbor had to get rid of that 2y/o rooster his kid hand raised from a chick and I had to get rid of my ducks. Luckily, the neighbor that called the city moved and we now have a new, better, neighbor.

:welcome

Hi Dave, in addition to the pigeons you might give some thought to quail. Some towns that don't allow any other birds will allow quail.

Best wishes!
I heard somewhere that folks used to keep quail in aviaries to clean up the spilled seed from the dove/pigeons. I've been meaning to look into the logistics of that.

edit* At this point, I'm not asking the city for any kind of permission. Pigeon or quail.. Shoot, with that neighbor gone, I might just get me some more Khaki Campbells! ;)

Back
Top Bottom