New to the forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by katfisherWoman, Dec 7, 2011.

1. katfisherWoman

katfisherWoman New Egg

Dec 7, 2011
    Hi, we have had chickens since May 2011. bought 10 hens from the local flea market - 8 of them were roosters silly us. Traded the roosters on freecycle for 1 good barred rock laying hen. she lays huge 4oz. eggs - ordered 6 real hens from a hatchery and were given 3 cochins from a co-worker. Our breeds are:2 Rhode Island Reds - (1died), 2 Buff Orpingtons, (1 Welsummer - just died), (1 Dominique - died), 1 Red sexlink, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Blueish-gray Cochins, 1 Gold and black Cochin.

I have a question on antibiotic use. Do you use it? My Rhode Is. Red was fine one day but was out in the rain the next day I found her dead in the coop with clear mucus coming out her nose. The University Extention (4-H) told me it was probably bird pnuemonia and treating the rest of the birds with antibiotics might prevent more deaths. I gave them a tablespoon of Duramycin-10 per gallon of water daily for 7 days. All is well, had to throw away all eggs during treatment. Also cannot eat eggs for at least 7 to 14 days after treatment. Does any one know how long we should not eat the eggs
    ? Thanks so much

2. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. It sounds like you answered your own question. Don't eat the eggs for the first 14 days after you stop treatment.

3. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

4. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! Glad to have you aboard!

[​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC. Duramycin 10 egg withdrawal is 21 days after last use. Dont feed them back to your birds, toss them in the garbage.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, from the Big Bear mountains of Ca. Glad you found us. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. FlyRobinFly

FlyRobinFly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2011
    [​IMG] from Washington State

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    It seems like when you have and raise chickens you always need antibiotics on hand. Once chickens come down with pnuemonia it is really only a matter of hours that they have to be put on antibiotics in order to save them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by