new to the forum

RainMD

In the Brooder
May 13, 2015
Hi, I'm Michelle. My husband joined this site a looong time ago, when we first got into raising chickens. Now, by a twist of fate, we find ourselves fast becoming duck foster parents. My mother has lived by a pond for the last millenia and between her cats and the large amount of predator birds that like to hunt these little guys, they can get picked off fairly quick. Sometimes one is resued from the cats and, less often, one falls from the sky, presumably from an other bird above. In the past, we've taken these ducklings to the wildlife rehab ladies, but they were very appathetic about recieving them last year and I cannot find thier number this year. This leaves me to raise them untill the end of summer and then take them to my mother back yard to see if they will choose wild or domestic. I don't know what else to do about it.

We started with a mallard the saturday before Mother's day and, after making some phone calls, aquired two mascovy ducklings of the same age (between 1-3 days old). These ducklings were rescued from an inexperienced and stubborn mama who insisted on keeping her nest and hachling in a goat barn. Unfortunately, these two babes were the only survivors. Last night, my husband called from my mother's house (he's remodeling her kitchen) saying he and my son were bringing me an other duckling. The cats had gotten this one too and it had some scratches. I really didn't expect it to last the night, but it did and it has been very well recieved by the other three. From what I can tell, this last one is a wood duck, also under a week old. I'm hoping no more come my way. I'm already wondering how this is going to be managed. I may be trading ducks for chickens.

Hi Michelle, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It's so good of you to make room for the ducks and take them in. I've never had ducks (I'm a chicken person) but I understand they are a lot of fun and I know they have adorable babies.

Sounds like you may be headed toward a new career as a duck sanctuary owner!

Have you checked out the Learning Center duck info? And there's a forum for duck questions and stories too. Here are the links for both:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-poultry-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck to you with your new poultry, hope you're enjoying them.

P.S. Love your avatar!

Thanks for all that. I was just reading through the duck forum
smile.png
. Some interesting threads. And, I may end up a santuary at that, if it keeps up this way. Would have to look into liscensing I think. I am enjoying them. The wood duck isn't afraid of me at all. The mallard is untill I calm him and then he remembers he likes me. The other 2 are free range farm birds so they are used to people. They've been caring for the 2 smaller ducks like they were parents. I've noticed, just this afternoon, they are starting to act like a flock. The masocys are odd though. I was watching duck how-to videos on my kindle, while the ducks sat next to me, and the mascovys became very interested. They actually sat in front of the screen to watch, like little kids do for toons, and pecked all the things that would move. It was very cute but they have sense lost interest, lol. Oh well. Off to read more; thanks for the welcome :)

Funny, how the various birds have different personalities isn't it? Birds are so interesting, there is always something new to learn or something funny they are doing.

Seriously, think about the sanctuary thing...you may find yourself surprised how many ducks need that kind of help. It sounds to me like you'd be filling a void.

Good luck to you with your ducks, and have fun with them (that's really what it's all about, right)!
highfive.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens :welcome I have never raised ducks either, but I have a feeling that wood ducks have different needs then the normal ducks like mallards. It is great that you can give the ducklings a second chance :)

Back
Top Bottom