1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the group!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickrookie001, Jan 13, 2016.

1. chickrookie001

chickrookie001 New Egg

Jan 13, 2016
    Lexington SC
    Thanks for having me! Brand new to raising chickens and building our first coop now! Does anyone know where to get full grown chickens maybe mid February to get started? We want to get some chicks but thinking we need a hen to get us going with some eggs. So excited to do this with and for my family!

2. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock! Maybe try looking at your local Craigslist and type in laying hens or pullets. Do you have a breed in mind or do you want some suggestions?

3. chickrookie001

chickrookie001 New Egg

Jan 13, 2016
    Lexington SC
    I am needing some suggestions. I have two kids and we are looking for ones that have blue and brown eggs. We are complete rookies! TIA

4. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Blue egg layers include: Ameracauna and Cream Legbar. Brown egg layers can be: Australorp, Sex-link, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Brahma. Really dark brown egg layers include: Welsummer and Marans.

5. chickrookie001

chickrookie001 New Egg

Jan 13, 2016
    Lexington SC
    Thank you so much for the info! Glad to be part of the group!

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

When I was researching breeds for my first flock, this chart was invaluable. It lists breeds, color of eggs, broodiness, behavior traits, etc.
    http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

See the note in the column for Ameracauna's...a lot of the ones being sold as such are really Easter Eggers. And EE are great birds, but not a true breed.

Once you narrow down the breeds you're interested in, you can see member reviews by breed here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

Good luck and have fun!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    BLack Australorps are very good brown egg layers - you can ask Birdrain about their temperament etc. He has a beautiful flock of them. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

8. Birdrain92

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you! Black Australorps are very docile, don't stress easy, very friendly.Black Australorps are my favorite.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Simple-country

Simple-country Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    I love my cream leg bars and Swedish flowers! Sweet and so much fun to watch!

10. chickrookie001

chickrookie001 New Egg

Jan 13, 2016
    Lexington SC
    Thank you all so much! Great info! And I think we will start with some of these! Very excited to get out coop going!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by