New to the group

Macvande12

Hatching
Mar 16, 2017
Hi!

I'm new to the group. We just recently moved to a house in Stafford, Virginia where we can have chickens! We have a little over 2 acres of land and I've always wanted a few chickens. I grew up on a farm and it's one of the animals I miss having. We currently have 9 rescued kitties, 3 English Mastiffs and a German Shepherd. You could say we are animal lovers. :)

We are just starting our search for chickens and a coop to keep them in. Any ideas or suggestions would help. We had mostly Rhode Island Reds growing up, but we're really not particular. We'd just like to have some fresh eggs and possibly they can help with the yard.

Thanks so much for having me!

Welcome to BYC! I hope we can assist you in every possible way <3

welcome-byc.gif

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

G’Day from down under Macvande12
frow.gif
Welcome!

There are some great coop ideas here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Congrats on your new home and best wishes to you and your flock when they arrive.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

I would warn about your German Shepherd and your Mastiffs - no matter how gentle they may be, their size alone is devastating to chicks, etc. As for the kittens, they will be harder to keep from harming the chickens. Oy.

It's really better is none of them get to meet the chickens, and the chickens stay in a safe coop and strongly built secure run with cover. It will also protect them from aerial attack(raptors) and sneaky predators. Everything loves to eat chicken.

Back
Top Bottom