New to the group.

I have a question ..how did your silkie behave when he was with your friends? Has his behavior changed since he was introduced to your flock?
In the beginning she already had 2 roosters so she kept Pepper in his own space. When her rooster died she put Pepper with her hens. His behaviour then changed to charging people etc. It was quite frustrating for her and her husband (luckily now my place is built so we brought him home.)
I’m hoping with outdoor foraging and lots of love he will come around but right now I don’t like him too much haha

Yes it is. Ya I figured two were cockerels. I hoping I can keep them together with the hens and not have to get rid of one. What are your thoughts on that?
You may and you may not be able to keep both, it really depends on their personality. There are many roosters who can live peacefully together and some cannot. You will have to wait and see, one of them will probably be the dominant one. I also suggest separating the cockerels away from the pullets once they start mating, they will probably be much too rough on them. Again, it is personality, you'll have to observe them and see how they are with the pullets when they start mating, and who's the dominant one. They'll probably start mating at about 19 weeks I think, not sure though. Also around when they start mating the cockerels may start being a bit aggressive toward you, they should calm down at 1yo.

Yes it is. Ya I figured two were cockerels. I hoping I can keep them together with the hens and not have to get rid of one. What are your thoughts on that?
You may and you may not be able to keep both, it really depends on their personality. There are many roosters who can live peacefully together and some cannot. You will have to wait and see, one of them will probably be the dominant one. I also suggest separating the cockerels away from the pullets once they start mating, they will probably be much too rough on them. Again, it is personality, you'll have to observe them and see how they are with the pullets when they start mating, and who's the dominant one. They'll probably start mating at about 19 weeks I think, not sure though. Also around when they start mating the cockerels may start being a bit aggressive toward you, they should calm down at 1yo.
Ok thank you.
Any idea the breed of the chickens?
When my husband bought them they said barnyard mix. Mom is an olive egger but I don’t know the breed of the Dad

Glad to meet you, Angela. I am sorry you are having trouble with the silkie rooster. Here is a link to one of several articles about rooster behavior (but I think it might be the best informed). It really is describing rooster behavior from long observation, but a ways down, you will find Shadrach (the author's) opinion about how rooster aggression towards humans comes about. I am not sure it's true in all cases, but it's worth thinking about. I am very uncomfortable with some of the ideas put forward in other articles about how to modify rooster aggression by being aggressive back and proving you are the boss.
Best wishes with your lovely birds! I hope you can solve the problem.

No, she just said a barnyard mix and that the mom is an olive egger. I was just curious if it’s easy enough to recognize what the breed of the dad might be
They are mixes. Its hard to know exactly what they are if some of the parents are unknown. There might be some Easter Egger and Lavender Orpington in them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom