New to the incubation process. Help with a question please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sjc, Sep 19, 2011.

1. sjc

sjc New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Hello. I have some hens and a rooster and decided to try to hatch some chicks with my son. Bought an incubator and one day while gathering eggs, we stuck a few eggs in the incubator to give it a whirl. On day 10, 100 degrees, turning them everyday. Hers my question. Am I wasting my time, because someone at work said I have to keep them in a cool dry place for 5-7 days before incubating them. Is this tru and should I pitch these eggs. Not sure how to candle brown eggs either. Thank you sooo much for any help in this matter. My son is excited, but im afraid we may have to start over.... Thanks again. God Bless :)

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You are okay. Keep it going!

3. NancyP1

NancyP1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hi..[​IMG]. I would not start over. I am not an expert, hopefully some that are will answer this too. I candle my brown eggs the same as the white eggs. If you read thru some of these threads there are some excellent photos and some great advise too! You do need to keep an eye on your humidity also..Good Luck!

4. kevs-chickadees

kevs-chickadees Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Mesa AZ
    I've heard that after 7 days of being fertilized your running out of time, so to wait that many days sounds dumb to me. In fact I would like to have a rooster to see what the hatch rate would be if I collected them and incubated same morning of being laid. Candling will be your best bet though, use a pitch black room and a really bright light.[​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Sounds like you're doing great. The fresher the eggs are that you use for incubating the better [​IMG] If you have an LED flashlight you can try using that for candling. Make sure to shine it in the larger, round end of the egg. Good luck & hope you have a great hatch.

6. sjc

sjc New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    Thanks to everyone who replied with quick good answers. I really appreciate it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by