New to the site and chickens (but loving both)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Suebee217, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Suebee217

Suebee217 New Egg

Nov 7, 2011
    I got my first chickens about six months ago and had no previous experience with chickens. My neighbor made an amzing chicken coop out of an old grain silo and I openly coveted that coop! My husband is handy but hard to motivate since he wasn't sure about getting hens. I found a coop on Craigslists but of course needed my hubby's help bringing it home. He knows I hate to negotiate so he said that if I could get the coop for x amount then he would go pick it up. I wanted that coop!! Made the offer and much to my surprise it was accepted. We almost felt bad when we went to pick up the coop. It was even better than the photos showed. We got a great deal and I was on my way to fresh eggs.

I have six chickens. I bought four that were already laying (I am impatient) and 2 pullets. I have one each of the following breeds: Rhode Island Red, Laced Winged Wyandotte, Gold Sexlink, Buff Orpington, Americauna, Barred Rock.

My other hobbies include: cooking, gardening (herbs, veggies, flowers), going to the farmers market, preserving food, reading and spending time with my family.

I had an "empty nest" when my children left home and I think I have partially filled that void by taking care of these girls. I love baking with the fresh eggs and bringing healthy food to my adult children and little grandchildren. I really enjoy decorating the coop and run area (much to my husbands bewildered amusement). It is my space and I am having fun.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Welcome SUEBEE! Glad you've joined BYC and are enjoying your new chickens!

Alot of us have the same interests as you, so I think you'll enjoy the site! I also love to garden, and cook and bake and I crochet....I'm a grandmother now.....One grandson and one granddaughter! Unfortunately, my kids seem to be coming back to the nest! LOL

Take care,
    Sharon

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oesdog [​IMG]

5. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Welcome to BYC! Can't wait to see some pics of your coop! Warning Chickens are addictive, I now have 2 coops...check out my BYC page!

6. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Welcome, Suebee!!! This is a great group of people who are so supportive and knowledgeable. You'll enjoy the time you spend here.

7. JK Farm

JK Farm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    [​IMG] I'm new here as well and I love it.

8. Chicken225

Chicken225 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Been here since Aug and still new. Welcome!!![​IMG][​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad you joined us!

[​IMG]

10. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by