1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to the site, not exactly new to chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SquireWill, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SquireWill

SquireWill New Egg

Mar 28, 2012
    Hey gang, I am not new to chickens, having raised chickens when I was a youngster (and being 63, that seems far removed from today), but I am new to this site. I am married (40 years this year), have two children, and three grandsons. I am introducing a friend to the world of chickens this year and I will be encouraging him to be signing up for this forum, so when he come in, I expect everyone to be very helpful to him (he needs it) and I will try to pass along any thing that I think I know as well. Hope to hear from some of you in our endeavors to keep this variety of bird in the mainstream. If any of you know of places to check for rules about keeping chickens in town, please let me know because my friend has the unfortunate problem of being a 'city dweller'. I live on acreage and don't worry too much about what my neighbor thinks of my chickens (unless he thinks he can help himself to some while I am not watching - LOL). I don't have any chickens at present (Limestone County in Texas suffered a bit from drouth and heat this past summer), but we are gearing up for another run this year, so don't be strangers.

1 person likes this.
  2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome to both of you from Ohio....glad you joined us. Good luck getting new chickens and congrats to you on 40 years of marriage :)

3. adrianis

adrianis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Tempe, Arizona
    Greetings!

I haven't had much of a chance to raise chickens myself, but I knew a few fun people who raised chickens before. Long story short, over the years helping to take care of their chickens made me a chicken lover. *sigh*

Now I live in Arizona, right next to Phoenix. Surprisingly enough there are people here who keep 3-12 chickens! The rules and regulations are different for every city and county, but you can inquire to keeping what they refer to here as farm animals, at any town hall or city counsel. I'm sure if you looked around online you'd quickly be pointed in the direction for rules and such.

In California, I heard you're not allowed to keep chickens in city limits, but there are people working to change that. Best of luck to them. One thing that cities are lacking are trees and animals that can provide sustainance like chickens. Shout out to your friend that he better get some chickens, he's missing out on a ton of fun.

Man oh man, if I was not living in an apartment ... I've heard of potty training your chickens and putting little diapers on them, but I'm not that crazy. I know since I work 12 hour days that I wouldn't have the time to make sure that they are cleaned ... also I have cats. I'm all for chicken coops outside and I'm having the time of my life right now looking through this site at chicken coop winners because their designs are so varied. It just gets me pumped!

Wish you all the best. And happy 40 years man! You and your wife are a rare few.

EDIT: I noticed that this was part of this site! Laws! click here on the link or go to the Learning Center on this site to look up laws for your area. Your area might be listed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/3/Laws/page/10

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. Glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

7. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

9. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    Welcome fellow Texan! Check out the Texas forum for people in your area with ordinance help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by