New to the wonders of chickens and having trouble finding supplies!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RavenStorm, Jun 1, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Help! I have been reading and researching how to care for chickens for a few months now and I want to go ahead and start, but I can't find any local suppliers and major pet stores only have so much. Does anyone here know of a good list of Southern California (preferably in the Covina area) that carry chicken supplies?

2. Sparkalator

Sparkalator Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Florida
    HI,

Welcome to BYC!

Not sure of what is available in your area, but there is always the internet to order supplies from.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would try the farm equipment/dealers section of the yellow pages. There's bound to be a farm supply store some where in your area or not to far away. Pet stores just aren't going to cut it when it comes to livestock. You can also try your local high school and speak with the FFA/agriculture teacher. They should be able to point you in the right direction. [​IMG]

Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens and [​IMG] We're glad to have you!

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Hi there. I had the same problem when my hen showed up. I HAD to improvise. I when to the pet store first and got cage bird grit and wrote down the ingredients to a bird food for parrots called Harrisons and some scratch and then to the grocery and health food stores for the grains. It was over 6 mths til I found a feed store 35 miles away and finally got layer feed!!!! [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

6. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips to getting started on finding a local supplier!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by