New to the world of chickens

hilari221

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Hello! I am new to chickens and am currenly raising 2 sex-linked red pullets. It's been a joy so far! Our intention is to have just a few egg layers as happy pets! We are a family of animal lovers and they all live very cushy lives and are cared for well to extreme! We purchased a high quality coop from a local Amish business ( we live in A high Amish populated town). Anyway, it's a small coop. 4 x 5' with 4 nest boxes and a pen underneath the same size as the coop. My hubby is making an addition to the pen (totally enclosed and safe from predators...we Iive at the base of a state forest). The addition will measure 16 x 12'. Also planning on free ranging them while we are out and about in the yard or in the pool. Ok. On to my question. I would "Like" to add a Plymouth rock and 2 silkie bantams. Is that too many?? It works for the 4 sf per bird in the coop, but I want them ti be really happy!

Greetings from Kansas, hilari221, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! I think that you will be fine with that size coop for 5 birds as it still adheres to the size recommendation. Plus, since you are free ranging them and they have a large run, you will be good to go. Best wishes!!

Thank you! We are also considering just going with our 2 girls for this year. We are afraid that if we get our quota all at once, they may all stop laying at about the same time (however many years that is?). We could never "get rid" of our retirees

welcome-byc.gif
The only thing that comes up is - silkies are not good for free ranging - with their big crest and beards - they vision is greatly impaired. They don't see predators so are sitting ducks, aside from their generally docile attitudes. They also don't generally roost - their silkied wing feathers are much for flying. They tend to pile on the floor to sleep.

If you don't plan to show them, you can cut back the feathers around the eyes (very carefully) so they can see and be more alert. They will grow back if you decide you don't like them trimmed.

Thank you! That is very good information and much appreciated. So, would they be happy only in their pen?? Will they get jealous knowing the others get out??

Back
Top Bottom