New to this Chicken Thang!

cowtown chick

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I live in N.E. Tennessee
Hello,
I am a brand new chicken owner, proud adopted parent of 2 black Australorps and 2 Speckled Sussex. They are aprrox 2-3 weeks old and I dont have a clue what I'm doing, just winging it and reading all I can from anywhere I can to get good information. All arrows seem to point to this site, and I see why, very informative. I'm starting small until I get the hang of it, would love to get more.

I live in the beautiful mountains of N.E. Tennessee, where we can go through all 4 seasons in one day sometimes. The more my husband and I read of all the poisonous ingredients being put in our food, we realized, we need to start gardening and raise our own chickens, it only makes sense, we should all do the same. So, this year is a first of many things for me, first vegetable garden, first compost pile, first herb garden, first chickens, I could go on.

I am married of 22 yrs, 3 boys (2 grown and out of the house and 1 getting ready for his learners permit) I guess I have more time on my hands now that the boys are grown. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a fish pond. My therapy sessions take place in nature, I absolutely love being outdoors. I am looking forward to learning as much as I can about this chicken thang!

welcome-byc.gif

Hello from Australia. I am also a newbie - got my first 4 chickens 9 months ago. One of them is an Australorp too - aren't they fine looking girls!!! We also have the big vegetable patch, compost etc after downsizing three years ago. Still in the suburbs but with enough back garden to have lots of fruit and veg. And the eggs, wow!!!

I am glad you found this site - I was so pleased when I did as I spent ages reading lots of info before I even built my coop. And it has been helpful with advice whenever something worries me too. The only stupid questions here, are the ones that go unasked.

I hope you all have a lot of fun enjoying the great Chicken Adventrue

All the best

Welcome to BYC! I know you will do well here because of all the great information- I've had chickens for many years in the past and am still benefiting from all the advice and tips I am reading about here. My must know tip would be to read up on predators and how to foil them. I lost a small flock of speck Sussex one night to raccoons who didn't eat them but just left them dead.That was my worst heartache from chickens. Mostly nothing but happy memories for me, though.

Back
Top Bottom