New to this forum

Crazyladychicks

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2019
Michigan
flock of 13, all hens now, had 20 butchered, dressed 8-10lbs. should use much less feed this winter. Hens are 16 weeks old, wondering when they will start laying because winter has arrived in Michigan. 6 orpington, 6 australorp 1 unknown white hen. Raised chickens 40 yrs ago, but have probably forgotten many important facts.

ValerieJ

Enabler
Premium member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
Hi! :frow. Welcome to BYC! It's really hard to say when your pullets will start laying. My orpingtons usually start around 18-20 weeks, but I get them in the spring. Yours are coming to POL during the shortest days of the year so they may wait until the days are longer. Do you add light to the coop in the morning to lengthen their daylight hours?

Crazyladychicks

In the Brooder
Dec 5, 2019
Michigan
Hi! :frow. Welcome to BYC! It's really hard to say when your pullets will start laying. My orpingtons usually start around 18-20 weeks, but I get them in the spring. Yours are coming to POL during the shortest days of the year so they may wait until the days are longer. Do you add light to the coop in the morning to lengthen their daylight hours?
No, I may have to wait until spring for eggs.

ValerieJ

Enabler
Premium member
Jul 24, 2016
Washington State
No, I may have to wait until spring for eggs.
Well, you just never know. Young pullets are not predictable. Mine usually lay eggs straight through their first winter, but they will have started laying in the summer. An odd circumstance caused me to get 4 chicks in late August this year. I know I wont get any eggs from them until spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom