New to this - how to integrate new chicks to one week older chicks

KSMommy22

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
My husband and I decided to try raising chickens, and started with 8 chicks a week ago. They came from Tractor Supply and appear to be healthy and happy. My kids were not in town when we got the first chicks, and wanted two more, so we bought them. Now I'm trying to figure out how to introduce the younger chicks to the others. The older chicks are starting to get feathers, but still have lots of their down also. The older chicks are Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons. The younger ones appear to be one Wellsummer and one little one we haven't figured out yet (these are from Atwoods). We currently have the two smaller ones in their own brooder, but it would make life easier (we think) if they were all together. Any suggestions?

I had the same situation with 8, one week old chicks and I was able to introduce 2 new chicks to the brooder with absolutely no problem. The older chicks took to the new ones immediately. At that young age, you shouldn't have any problems.

I had 6 and after a week or so I added 3 more and both was trying to rule each other for the first day but now they are all friends.
celebrate.gif

Thanks for your replies!!! After reading your successes, it makes me feel much better. I'm thinking that I'll keep the newer ones in their own brooder until tomorrow just to make sure they aren't sick (although they act fine right now). Is this long enough to keep them apart at this point?

I add newly hatched chicks to older chicks every weekend. (Whatever hatches). I'll do this until the oldest chicks are 6 weeks old. Then I take out the older chicks and put them in another pen. The older chicks help get the newer one eating and drinking. Almost as good as a mother hen. You should have no problem.

Back
Top Bottom