New to this!! Integrating a new chicken

jnunez

Hatching
Aug 24, 2015
florida
I have a question and I'm not sure if this is where i post this, as I'm new here. I recently accquired 2 new hens, one a Easter Egger and one a Red. Well, sadly my red (Peggy Sue) got out and hasn't returned
1f625.png
. I am absolutely heartbroken. I want to get a new hen to "replace" her. My easter egger( Henrietta) is about 7 month old and just started laying. My question is should I get a hen about the same age and is there certain breeds that go best with others? I know about the pecking order but is there an easy way to do this?? Any help is appreciated!!

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
I'm sorry about the loss of Peggy Sue. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. :eek:( You definitely need to get another hen of a similar age and size. Even then you need to introduce the new hen very carefully and slowly using the "look but don't touch" method. There is a good article at https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens/ explaining how to do it. Standard sized breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle include Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. If high egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Of course where temperament is concerned, keep in mind that there can always be an exception with any breed.

Last edited:

Teila

Bambrook Bantams
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Forrest Beach, FNQ, Australia
Howdy jnunez and Welcome to BYC!

I am also sorry to hear of your loss
sad.png

Michael has given you some good information and the link to a good article. Today, I have been having a similar conversation with someone on another thread and thought you might like to take a look. While the scenarios are not exactly the same there has been some discussion of pros and cons etc that may be helpful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1064433/integrating-new-additions

Top Bottom