new to this with a sick hen?

hillyerhenhouse

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Hello to you all. My name is Kathy from Farwell Pennsylvania, with hillyerhenhouse
wee.gif

New to this as well as Chickens. Just got eight hens two days ago was told they were just over a year old.

seven rhodeisland reds and one white bannie hen. I purchased them all from the same fellow. Very nice large hens laying very nice large brown eggs, they all seemed to be adjusting fine. YET

last night I noticed that the white bannie hen was not up on the roost with the rest.
then today she seems listlss. keeps off to herself, not scratching and pecking at cracked corn I toss in and I believe she may have the poops,
and if i watch her long enough she seems to want to fall asleep standing still.

Any thoughts on what may be going on? Sure would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you so much, looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome new member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Hens present with this type of behaviour for a number of reasons. Posting on the Emergency thread as another suggested is the best thing but do make sure you put in ALL the facts everything you can think of even if it doesn;t seem important. Like what the weather was like - did she get too hot or too cold? Did she have a shock? How long has she been this way? What is the poop like??? Even take pis and upload, as the more folk know the better the chance to help you. However do be mindful that chickens don;t last forever no matter what you do. THinking of you and best of luck.

Oes

Thanks so much, This morning she seems to be ok, not real sure if maybe I am just being oversensative.

I am also inclined to not believe the gentleman I bought them from. He said they were just over a year old and he got about 8-9 eggs a day.

So far I have had them for four days counting today and one egg today, three yesterday , four the day before. Either way I love the hens as silly as that sounds, I go up and visit them often.

I have just put in an order for 20 pullets that I will recieve on May 2nd. I have heard that they may not get along well with my hens . Any thoughts on this?

Well need to go, thank you and have a wonderful day. Kathy

THANK YOU MUCH. MY LITTLE HEN SEEMS TO BE DOING BETTER TODAY. IM THINKING THAT MAYBE JUST THE MOVE WAS A LITTLE STRESSFUL ON THEM.

ANYWAY I CALLED TODAY AND ORDERED 25 PULETTS (SEXLINKS) WHICH WILL BE HERE THE FIRST OF MAY.
WE ARE NOW PLANNING THE EXPANTION OF OUR HEN HOUSE.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE WELCOME AND HOPE TO TALK TO YOU LATER.

Back
Top Bottom