I'm back with more questions😅

Werburga has gotten soo big in the last few weeks... so we decided she was about ready to be moved outside- well, long story short, she's scared of everything and managed to get herself wedged between the rabbit cages and the wire mesh of the coop.🤦‍♀ Needless to say, she broke some of her developing wing feathers and scraped up the top of her wing and bruised a bit of her beak (this all sounds terrible, but she's alright. The injuries were all minor.) For the time being, she's being kept inside in a makeshift cage.

Now, on to my actual question. We've noticed for the last week or so that she starts panting for no reason whatsoever. She always has plenty of water and we take her outside to swim often. I've also noticed that when we hold her, her body temperature runs really hot. Is this normal? Her intoedness still hasn't corrected itself despite the B complex and brewers yeast. I had originally figured that raising gosling and ducklings couldn't possibly be too different... boy, was I wrong.

I read that the panting could be stress, heat or possible respiratory. If it's the latter, is VetRx a possible course of treatment? We don't have any vets that see ducks, so I'm not sure what to do... I just want to make sure my baby is alright..

Being an only duckling is scary especially when put outside with no one else to cuddle with or hang around with. How many other ducks do you have? Eventually, you can start introducing her to them so when times she can go and be with a flock. Your making a monster[ not really but I had a single duckling inside because his mom attacked him when he hatched ] it's almost 12 yrs later and he still is imprinted on me. He thinks I am one of his girls and I am constantly having to convince him I am not.
If you decide to try her outside again put her in something that she can't hurt herself on. Maybe a large dog crate inside a safe space. As you now know they can get themselves into strange places. If you have more ducks can you put her where she can see and hear them? it may make the transition to out doors easier.

How much Liquid B complex are you giving her and how are you giving it?

I'm back with more questions😅

Werburga has gotten soo big in the last few weeks... so we decided she was about ready to be moved outside- well, long story short, she's scared of everything and managed to get herself wedged between the rabbit cages and the wire mesh of the coop.🤦‍♀ Needless to say, she broke some of her developing wing feathers and scraped up the top of her wing and bruised a bit of her beak (this all sounds terrible, but she's alright. The injuries were all minor.) For the time being, she's being kept inside in a makeshift cage.

Now, on to my actual question. We've noticed for the last week or so that she starts panting for no reason whatsoever. She always has plenty of water and we take her outside to swim often. I've also noticed that when we hold her, her body temperature runs really hot. Is this normal? Her intoedness still hasn't corrected itself despite the B complex and brewers yeast. I had originally figured that raising gosling and ducklings couldn't possibly be too different... boy, was I wrong.

I read that the panting could be stress, heat or possible respiratory. If it's the latter, is VetRx a possible course of treatment? We don't have any vets that see ducks, so I'm not sure what to do... I just want to make sure my baby is alright..
You have done a really good job with this little one and I know you're coming from a good place, but putting her outside all alone won't be very good for her

I know you said no more ducks, but could you consider getting just one friend for her? As (I think) you know, I only have two ducks, and though three is a better minimum, they've done really well as just a pair. I couldn't imagine only having one, they really thrive on company of their species.
20230422_215330.jpg

At night, they cuddle up like this, in the daytime they chat to eachother, follow eachother around. They do everything together. Spright isn't well and has to stay in the coop much of the time now, and Dougie, though she hates being in the coop, is constantly going inside to check on her.
It's so sweet and makes keeping ducks 10x more rewarding.

If you could get her one friend, she'd be more confident outside, feel safer and have a better overall health and wellbeing.

Being an only duckling is scary especially when put outside with no one else to cuddle with or hang around with. How many other ducks do you have? Eventually, you can start introducing her to them so when times she can go and be with a flock. Your making a monster[ not really but I had a single duckling inside because his mom attacked him when he hatched ] it's almost 12 yrs later and he still is imprinted on me. He thinks I am one of his girls and I am constantly having to convince him I am not.
If you decide to try her outside again put her in something that she can't hurt herself on. Maybe a large dog crate inside a safe space. As you now know they can get themselves into strange places. If you have more ducks can you put her where she can see and hear them? it may make the transition to out doors easier.

How much Liquid B complex are you giving her and how are you giving it?
Thank you Miss Lydia! I'm giving her about 5cc to 2cups of water. I've tried giving it to her directly, but she thrashes and screams so much that I figured I'm doing more harm than good... I place it in her water and she usually finishes it by the end of the day (she has a seperate waterer as well)

You have done a really good job with this little one and I know you're coming from a good place, but putting her outside all alone won't be very good for her

I know you said no more ducks, but could you consider getting just one friend for her? As (I think) you know, I only have two ducks, and though three is a better minimum, they've done really well as just a pair. I couldn't imagine only having one, they really thrive on company of their species.
View attachment 3479613
At night, they cuddle up like this, in the daytime they chat to eachother, follow eachother around. They do everything together. Spright isn't well and has to stay in the coop much of the time now, and Dougie, though she hates being in the coop, is constantly going inside to check on her.
It's so sweet and makes keeping ducks 10x more rewarding.

If you could get her one friend, she'd be more confident outside, feel safer and have a better overall health and wellbeing.
I truly wish I could get her a friend... unfortunately, I simply just can't. I live with my parents, and my mom has put her foot down and said "no more" on the live babies... (possibly because my sister came home with a turkey poultry 👀)

I truly do understand that they're very social animals, so I've done my upmost best to give her lots of attention, though I know it still can't replace the bond they would have with a friend. :( Your Sprite and Dougie are so sweet.

I didn't plan on a duck, but within my power I truly want her to live the best life. Is there anything I could do to make things easier for her? We'd be willing to keep her indoors for as long as needed if she's more comfortable that way. Though it would break my heart, would it be better for her to be rehomed to a duck rescue? We had originally considered sending her there, but being a rescue ourselves and having had bad experience with other rescues (two chickens we gave them years ago died after intentional exposure to ill chicks) we decided to not go through with it (I may have fallen in love as well😅)

Thank you both so much for your help, I truly do appreciate it!

How old is the turkey poult? That might work better than nothing at all. They would have to be introduced slowly.
The turkey poultry is currently 2wks old... and is living with my quail of the same age.

Werburga isn't the friendliest to other poultry unfortunately😅 I tried introducing her to somechicks when she was about a week and a half old, but she would constantly try to grab their necks or lunge at them. I have tried putting the chicks in with her again as they are all above 3wks, but still luck- same reaction, except she's stronger now..

Back
Top Bottom