New to turkeys-housing ? Partner or not

kmisscluck

Chirping
Sep 20, 2016
Broomfield, CO
I recently acquired a solo turkey. He was housed with a hen and their pullets and foxes got all but him so the owner wanted to rehome with someone that had a larger predator proof pen. I’m in Colorado , bad coyotes here. He was housed with chickens and never had issues. I have five large chickens and him in a large horse stall (14x16 with attached covered run that is 10x10. It has perches and branches at all heights. He has found spots he likes. Questions- the hens go in a small coop inside the horse stall at night for warmth. Does he need an enclosure? I’ve read they don’t like them. He is perching inside stall now. It’s closed on three sides with roof, but one side has kennel run attached so predator proof but cold can get in. How cold tolerant are healthy royal palms?
next question- is all flock feed ok, or layer feed 16%. He will be pet so longevity not meat is goal, so I heard lower protein is better for longevity. Lower calcium to avoid gout . he seems super calm and is getting along with hens. we have very large hen that is roosterized- she began to crow, protects the flock and they seem to be hanging out. I’m going to watch closely for any aggression or mating attempts. I also provided hiding places for hens he can’t get to. Thanks for any suggestions. I’ve considered getting a hen, but worried she would get aggressive with my chickens so I’m going to see how he does for now.

I recently acquired a solo turkey. He was housed with a hen and their pullets and foxes got all but him so the owner wanted to rehome with someone that had a larger predator proof pen. I’m in Colorado , bad coyotes here. He was housed with chickens and never had issues. I have five large chickens and him in a large horse stall (14x16 with attached covered run that is 10x10. It has perches and branches at all heights. He has found spots he likes. Questions- the hens go in a small coop inside the horse stall at night for warmth. Does he need an enclosure? I’ve read they don’t like them. He is perching inside stall now. It’s closed on three sides with roof, but one side has kennel run attached so predator proof but cold can get in. How cold tolerant are healthy royal palms?
next question- is all flock feed ok, or layer feed 16%. He will be pet so longevity not meat is goal, so I heard lower protein is better for longevity. Lower calcium to avoid gout . he seems super calm and is getting along with hens. we have very large hen that is roosterized- she began to crow, protects the flock and they seem to be hanging out. I’m going to watch closely for any aggression or mating attempts. I also provided hiding places for hens he can’t get to. Thanks for any suggestions. I’ve considered getting a hen, but worried she would get aggressive with my chickens so I’m going to see how he does for now.
Turkeys are very social. Getting him some turkey hens will be helpful.

My turkeys roost outside in all kinds of weather. Turkeys are very cold hardy. Mine have had no issues in -30°F temperatures.

All flock feed is fine. Layer feed for a tom, just like for roosters can shorten their life expectancy due to the excess calcium causing kidney problems.

What you read about low protein feed for longer life expectancy applies to broad breasted turkeys, not heritage turkeys. Mine do fine on a 20% protein all flock feed but can do well on feeds as low as 16% protein. The higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin in all flock feeds is beneficial.

Adding a turkey will be beneficial for the tom and will cause less potential chicken problems than will happen if he tries to breed the chickens. The ideal addition would be a couple of turkey hens that have not been raised with chickens.

Gout is caused by excessive protein, mealworms etc. Excessive calcium causes kidney damage.

I wish you luck. Sounds like he has a great family. I have read stories about people only having one turkey and the turkey has a happy long life others say it's a bad idea for a turkey to not have other turkeys to hang out with. I myself don't have this issue because I have 6 turkeys but they also have 17 chickens and 10 ducks to hang out. I would have only gotten 1 turkey but the feed store rules was 6 or more. 😒

I wish you luck. Sounds like he has a great family. I have read stories about people only having one turkey and the turkey has a happy long life others say it's a bad idea for a turkey to not have other turkeys to hang out with. I myself don't have this issue because I have 6 turkeys but they also have 17 chickens and 10 ducks to hang out. I would have only gotten 1 turkey but the feed store rules was 6 or more. 😒
😂😂 sorry

Well good luck

Turkeys are very social. Getting him some turkey hens will be helpful.

My turkeys roost outside in all kinds of weather. Turkeys are very cold hardy. Mine have had no issues in -30°F temperatures.

All flock feed is fine. Layer feed for a tom, just like for roosters can shorten their life expectancy due to the excess calcium causing kidney problems.

What you read about low protein feed for longer life expectancy applies to broad breasted turkeys, not heritage turkeys. Mine do fine on a 20% protein all flock feed but can do well on feeds as low as 16% protein. The higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin in all flock feeds is beneficial.

Adding a turkey will be beneficial for the tom and will cause less potential chicken problems than will happen if he tries to breed the chickens. The ideal addition would be a couple of turkey hens that have not been raised with chickens.

Gout is caused by excessive protein, mealworms etc. Excessive calcium causes kidney damage.
Great information! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom